Sour crop? Something stuck in chickens throat? I can't tell!

GimmyChickens

Hatching
Sep 6, 2016
Hello everyone! I am in need of help identifying what's wrong with my chicken and then what to do for her. For the past week she has been wheezing, sneezing, and squeaking. Not clucking or making normal noises. I figured it was respiratory issues and stress (a bob cat got into the run last week and killed two of my girls), so I upped the ACV in her water and added some basil and cinnamon into the feed as I have read that they help their respiratory systems. She's been eating and drinking this whole time. Well this morning when I went out to the coop she was really gasping for air. She would breathe in and then stretch her neck way out to exhale and she wheezes/squeaks when she does this. I separated her and called the vet. They wouldn't give me any suggestions over the phone, they just wanted me to take her in for x-rays to see if something was stuck in her throat. Well I can't afford to pay $175 for X-rays. Her crop felt hard and was just smaller then a tennis ball. So I started giving her olive oil in a syringe and massaging her crop every few hours. I've also withheld food. Her crop is now about the same size, but is now squishy and she's still breathing the same, especially after being handled for the massage. When I hold her like a football it's almost like it pushes something up and she can't breathe well at all. But when she's calm and resting in the crate she breathes better. Still opened beak breathing, but it's not as labored. I'm just not sure if it's something stuck in her throat, respiratory issues, or impacted and/or sour crop. Anyone have any idea and suggestions??

Hello everyone! I am in need of help identifying what's wrong with my chicken and then what to do for her. For the past week she has been wheezing, sneezing, and squeaking. Not clucking or making normal noises. I figured it was respiratory issues and stress (a bob cat got into the run last week and killed two of my girls), so I upped the ACV in her water and added some basil and cinnamon into the feed as I have read that they help their respiratory systems. She's been eating and drinking this whole time. Well this morning when I went out to the coop she was really gasping for air. She would breathe in and then stretch her neck way out to exhale and she wheezes/squeaks when she does this. I separated her and called the vet. They wouldn't give me any suggestions over the phone, they just wanted me to take her in for x-rays to see if something was stuck in her throat. Well I can't afford to pay $175 for X-rays. Her crop felt hard and was just smaller then a tennis ball. So I started giving her olive oil in a syringe and massaging her crop every few hours. I've also withheld food. Her crop is now about the same size, but is now squishy and she's still breathing the same, especially after being handled for the massage. When I hold her like a football it's almost like it pushes something up and she can't breathe well at all. But when she's calm and resting in the crate she breathes better. Still opened beak breathing, but it's not as labored. I'm just not sure if it's something stuck in her throat, respiratory issues, or impacted and/or sour crop. Anyone have any idea and suggestions??
It sounds like a respiratory illness.
Is she pooping ok?
Is the crop still full in the morning?
How old is she?
Any eye/nose discharge?
Can you post some photos?
Do you provide grit for your chickens?

There are many different respiratory diseases that chickens can get.
You may need to treat with antibiotics to see if there is any improvement.
You can try Tylan 50 injectable, given orally, or seek your vet's help. Tylan 50 dosage is 1 cc or ml per 5 pounds of weight. Give it orally or as an injection into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep.

Let us know how she's doing.

Pooping seems to be ok, kind of watery. Husband said her crop didn't feel empty this morning. Not hard, but squishy. She's about a year and a half old. No nose or eye discharge. I'll try getting some some photos on here soon and yes I do provide grit for them. This is a chicken newbie question, but where do I find Tylan? I don't have too many farm stores around here. I have rural King and a local feed store. Thank you for all the help!

Last edited:
So she seems about the same today. Her crop feels hard again and it feels like it's just a bit bigger then a golf ball. She hasn't had food for 24 hours now. I gave her some yogurt about 30 min ago and she hasn't touched it. She was trying to get out of the crate and certainly didn't like me messing with her today. Yesterday she didn't care what I did to her. So not sure if I should take that as a good or bad thing. Still don't know if I'm dealing with a impacted and/or sour crop or a respiratory issue. Or maybe it's both? She's still open mouth breathing and it gets worse when you mess with her. Should we try to vomit her? What about an Epsom salt flush? I just really feel at a loss with her. I can figure out for sure what I'm dealing with.

Tina the chicken didn't make it. We think it was sour crop from what was inside her. Thank you everyone for the help.

Back
Top Bottom