Sour crop vaginal cream advice please?

Helen_Jayne

Songster
5 Years
Jun 7, 2018
Sheffield, UK
Hi, Another quick question:
I have read numerous reports of treating sour crop using monostat cream but that is only available in America. The main ingredient is miconazole nitrate.
I'm getting together a chicken first aid kit so I have what I need on hand but I don't want to poison my chickens with something which is toxic to them.
Does anyone have experience of using other creams available in the UK such as Canesten(clotrimazole) or Vagisil (Lidocaine). There is also Fluconazole tablets.

Thanks

I am in the UK and have used fluconazole. If you buy the capsules then you can just pop them open and dissolve the powder with water and try that - I can’t recall what I did for dosage at the time but I think I looked it up on here. I keep a fluconazole capsule in my chicken first aid kit too (but buy own brand version from somewhere and not Canesten which is a lot more expensive).
Vagisil (lidocaine) will do nothing to treat sour crop as far as I know, just as it doesn’t actually treat thrush in people. I believe it is also a bit risky using lidocaine on chickens anyway. Either way, definitely avoid that.

I am in the UK and have used fluconazole. If you buy the capsules then you can just pop them open and dissolve the powder with water and try that - I can’t recall what I did for dosage at the time but I think I looked it up on here. I keep a fluconazole capsule in my chicken first aid kit too (but buy own brand version from somewhere and not Canesten which is a lot more expensive).
Vagisil (lidocaine) will do nothing to treat sour crop as far as I know, just as it doesn’t actually treat thrush in people. I believe it is also a bit risky using lidocaine on chickens anyway. Either way, definitely avoid that.
Thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom