Sour Crop?

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
The best time to check a crop is at daylight before they have eaten or drunk anything. It should feel empty and flat. Did you notice a sour or even rotten odor from her beak? How old is she and does she lay eggs? What are you feeding, and do you have granite poulty grit out in a container for your chickens to take as they need?

Starburst

Jesus Loves You
Premium Feather Member
May 25, 2020
Western Washington
Wow, that was quick! I did not notice any sour or rotten odor coming from her beak, she is about two and half years old and lays about five eggs a week. I feed her Scratch and Peck organic layer feed, along with table scraps, and scratch, berries, and other things as treats. I do not offer them grit at this time as they free-range all day, but do you recommend that I do that? Thanks for your quick response!

tizabel_

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
Hi! I’m glad to hear that her crop feels normal, it was probably nothing. I don’t feed my chickens grit as they also free range often. I don’t think that it’s necessary to give them grit unless they don’t have access to dirt or sand.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Glad that her crop is empty. I always have grit available in case they need it. There can be tiny rocks in the dirt, but there may not be enough in everyone’s soil. It costs about $10 for a 50 pound bag, and it lasts for many years.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom