Sour/impacted crop not improving

Adidas769

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2019
Ok y’all, need your help please. I have an 11 week old barnyard mix with something awful going on with her crop. 3 days ago, I noticed all the signs, lethargic, not her happy clucky self, and she was standing in an odd way. So I picked her up and her crop was huge! I’m talking like equal to the size of the rest of her body. Felt like a gritty water balloon. So although I know the risks, I regurgitated her in fear that this crop was so huge it may burst. I brought her inside, gave her some fluids and started Monistat with 2 tsp of coconut oil and messaged for 20 mins. Allowed access to water with apple cider vinegar over night, but no food. In the morning, crop was still huge and felt like water balloon, continued same treatment of messages, coconut oil,Monistat and ACV also added probiotics. I have been doing this for 3 days. I went and bought new monistat yesterday thinking maybe mine was expired or not potent enough. She has had some normal looking poops but the crop has never emptied. I do believe she has sour crop as there is a putrid smell about her. Her crop feels like mostly water with some small gritty stuff in there, but no obvious feeling of anything that could be causing a blockage. I really feel though that there is something else blocking somewhere that is not allowing the crop to empty correctly. We are on day 3 of treatment with no improvement. She is skin and bones at this point. Any advice would be appreciated. I do not have access to a vet at this time as much as I wish I did.

i seen a video on you tube theu helh chicken upside down and massaged her crop toward her head end to induce vomiting after she would vomit some raised her back up right and repeated again so she could breath in between . a lot of stuff came out of that chicke n . they did 3 or 4 then put them down and they would walk away

Vomiting a chicken is very dangerous, and many experienced people have accidentally killed their chickens this way. Chickens with sour crop can be very hard to treat. Coccidiosis, enteritis, and worms can be causes in a young pullet. I would try to get some water with electrolytes into her. Do you have a vet that you could see for help? @casportpony probably has better advice than I do.

I just cleaned her kennel, so this is all that it in there. It goes back and forth between being watery like this one and more firm like normal. No blood seen, no parasites seen. I have been looking for these. She has not eaten anything today except the coconut oil mixture with monistat and probiotics. She has nutridrench in her water along with the apple cider vinegar. She is drinking well and acting as though she is starving. I noticed that if I don’t keep her kennel very clean she will actually try to eat her own poop because she feels so hungry! She bent over and regurgitated and then tried eating that too, so I cleaned it up immediately. She ate some mushy pellets last night but this morning most of it still seemed to be in her crop so I thought I should withhold food again until maybe someone on here had some better advice for me.

Attachments

• 6CD0C652-F716-484E-BFC1-9D8CF5767DB4.jpeg
    6CD0C652-F716-484E-BFC1-9D8CF5767DB4.jpeg
    576 KB · Views: 15
Still a huge water balloon with no access to food or water at night. I have been doing monistat treatment at night, massaging, then letting her take a few drinks of water to wash it all down, then no food or water till morning.

Not noticeably smaller... she has been throwing up a lot today as she bends down to try to find food to eat. Small amounts, but all water.

Back
Top Bottom