Sour/impacted crop treatment

andie8707

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2019
hi everyone! I acquired a copper maran hen yesterday. She has severe sour/impacted crop. I'm thinking it's both but I'm not sure. This is the first time I deal with this. I've read that some people give monostat. Which kind should I give, as there are several to choose from. And is there a good treatment for the impacted crop without surgery? The bulge is a mixture of squishy and lumpy. I try to massage it a little to hopefully get things moving. I'd rather not vomit her. But it looks like even when I gently massage it, some comes up little, not enough to make her vomit. Also when I massage it, i can hear it gurgle a little. She will eat if I give her food I'm only giving garlic water right now. She's very sweet! I really hope I can help her. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 1017201151.jpg
    1017201151.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
hi everyone! I acquired a copper maran hen yesterday. She has severe sour/impacted crop. I'm thinking it's both but I'm not sure. This is the first time I deal with this. I've read that some people give monostat. Which kind should I give, as there are several to choose from. And is there a good treatment for the impacted crop without surgery? The bulge is a mixture of squishy and lumpy. I try to massage it a little to hopefully get things moving. I'd rather not vomit her. But it looks like even when I gently massage it, some comes up little, not enough to make her vomit. Also when I massage it, i can hear it gurgle a little. She will eat if I given her food. I'm only giving garlic water right now. She's very sweet! I really hope I can help her. Thanks everyone!
Does she have a sour/stinky odor to her breath?
What's her poop like?

You just got her - have you checked to make sure that her crop empties overnight?
If you are checking the crop during the day, it can feel full/have water in it due to eating. Check first thing in the morning before she's had access to food water and see what it feels like.

As for the Miconazole. I would get cream, looks like 7 day would be good or buy generic. I buy generic Clotrimazole.
Here's more info on treating crop issues. I would make sure she's got plenty of water available during waking hours. You may need to withhold feed for a day if the crop is really full to see if that helps it to empty. Do keep in mind that often there is an underlying condition causing the Symptom of Sour Crop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

There is a difference between impacted crop and sour crop, and both require different treatments. Impacted crop is the first stage which leads to sour crop; the impaction (if that’s even a word) causes the food to sit in the crop instead of drain into the stomach. As the food sits, it ferments and turns sour.
First thing to do is remove water for 12 hours and food for 24... anything added to the crop will add to the problem. Check in the am - the crop should empty completely overnight. If it does not, you’re dealing with impacted crop. If it smells like holy hell, then you are dealing with sour crop.

Back
Top Bottom