South Carolina

Oh goodness.......just bought a new printer. Spent a looooong time trying to set it up. I had big plans on being able to print via my "smart phone." Can't get it to work!!!! Think its bc i dont have wifi? Arg. I'm going to bed do I can sleep my frustrations away!!

Will it not work via USB cable? I hope everything looks brighter this morning.
smile.png

I will keep you in mind after the first of the year I could make the drive with np. I have been wanting some good marans and I been lookin for dorkings always thought there name is funny not everyone can say I have a dork chicken lol
Also, if you are looking for Dorkings, I have the Reds but Patsy on here has Silver/Greys and I do not know where she lives but she may be closer--just giving you options.
smile.png

Also, if you are looking for Dorkings, I have the Reds but Patsy on here has Silver/Greys and I do not know where she lives but she may be closer--just giving you options.  :)
ya any kind of dorking I just want a dork chicken lol I'm 28 but act 10 I no but it funny and I heard they a great chicken lays well and such. I like the stuff you don't see everyday

I've asked each of my 6 hens, and they answered, but a lot (every word and thought) was lost in the translation. The question posed was: "Will you raise some chicks if they just show up here in the coop?"
Don't even know for sure what breeds these ladies are, but pretty sure they're hatchery mutts regardless of the original labels. My best guess is 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes. 1 Buff Orpington. One girl looks suspiciously like a Golden Laced Wyandotte, but she lays pastel green eggs. One that is a complete mystery to me. All but the Orpington and Mystery hen came from the Spartanburg Tractor Supply store, spring 2012. Also have a couple of roosters that came with the ladies from Tractor Supply. So there is reason to believe that, given time, I'll get an answer from the hens about their propensity for motherhood.
I'm not lazy, but not interested in incubating eggs nor tending to a brooder. There are, after all, six incubator/brooders out there in the coop. My question here, similar to the to the one put to the hens, can I expect at least one of this bunch to tend to brooding responsibilities without having acted as the incubator?
If this query is answered in the affirmative, then the demand side of the economy just picked up. Would like to add some locally bred variety to my small flock, maybe some Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks, and would really love to see some Domineckers here on Grandpa's farm again.

In my experience, no, hens won't adopt chicks. They'll see them as competition and peck and attack them, and if left alone will kill them. Even broody hens with chicks will reject/attack strange chicks. They'll need to be raised to 3 or 4 months before they'll be able to fend for themselves in the flock. The only breed I know of to be the exception to this is silkies, and even they may peck a chicks head that gets too close.

I've asked each of my 6 hens, and they answered, but a lot (every word and thought) was lost in the translation.  The question posed was: "Will you raise some chicks if they just show up here in the coop?"
Don't even know for sure what breeds these ladies are, but pretty sure they're hatchery mutts regardless of the original labels.  My best guess is 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes. 1 Buff Orpington. One girl looks suspiciously like a Golden Laced Wyandotte, but she lays pastel green eggs. One that is a complete mystery to me.  All but the Orpington and Mystery hen came from the Spartanburg Tractor Supply store, spring 2012.  Also have a couple of roosters that came with the ladies from Tractor Supply. So there is reason to believe that, given time, I'll get an answer from the hens about their propensity for motherhood.
I'm not lazy, but not interested in incubating eggs nor tending to a brooder.  There are, after all, six incubator/brooders out there in the coop.  My question here, similar to the to the one put to the hens, can I expect at least one of this bunch to tend to brooding responsibilities without having acted as the incubator?
If this query is answered in the affirmative, then the demand side of  the economy just picked up.  Would like to add some locally bred variety to my small flock, maybe some Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks, and would really love to see some Domineckers here on Grandpa's farm again.
I tryed that once I put a couple 1 month olds in with my older chicks when I first got into chickens I found 1 chick dead after 1 night other was dang near dead in the morning. I have found 4 months maybe even 5 months depending on size before you place in the hen house. I have bantam dom eggs if you want to try your hand at incubating I don't have any chicks cuz I suck at a incubator

hey what's your thoughts y'all I found someone who has some cochins for sale and I'm getting a couple lemon blue hens a couple splash and maybe a white or 2 also a friend is giving me a millie rooster and a white frizzle rooster what would happen if I breed the lemon blue to the millie or just a blue/lavender to the millie roo would I get a cool blue millie??? I never tryed playing with cochin colors before but it sounds like fun when y'all talk about yalls projects

hey what's your thoughts y'all I found someone who has some cochins for sale and I'm getting a couple lemon blue hens a couple splash and maybe a white or 2 also a friend is giving me a millie rooster and a white frizzle rooster what would happen if I breed the lemon blue to the millie or just a blue/lavender to the millie roo would I get a cool blue millie??? I never tryed playing with cochin colors before but it sounds like fun when y'all talk about yalls projects

According to the chicken calculator: Mille roo crossed with Lavender hen, you would end up with black chicks split for lavender/pied mottled.
Mille roo with Blue hen, you would end up with blue unicolored (split with pied mottled) or black unicolored (split with pied mottled) chicks.

I've asked each of my 6 hens, and they answered, but a lot (every word and thought) was lost in the translation. The question posed was: "Will you raise some chicks if they just show up here in the coop?"
Don't even know for sure what breeds these ladies are, but pretty sure they're hatchery mutts regardless of the original labels. My best guess is 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes. 1 Buff Orpington. One girl looks suspiciously like a Golden Laced Wyandotte, but she lays pastel green eggs. One that is a complete mystery to me. All but the Orpington and Mystery hen came from the Spartanburg Tractor Supply store, spring 2012. Also have a couple of roosters that came with the ladies from Tractor Supply. So there is reason to believe that, given time, I'll get an answer from the hens about their propensity for motherhood.
I'm not lazy, but not interested in incubating eggs nor tending to a brooder. There are, after all, six incubator/brooders out there in the coop. My question here, similar to the to the one put to the hens, can I expect at least one of this bunch to tend to brooding responsibilities without having acted as the incubator?
If this query is answered in the affirmative, then the demand side of the economy just picked up. Would like to add some locally bred variety to my small flock, maybe some Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks, and would really love to see some Domineckers here on Grandpa's farm again.
If chicks are put under a broody hen at night with out her realizing what you are doing you can add chicks to those she already has. Do not put chicks with a hen or hens that are not broody or during the day with a broody hen when she can see what you are doing as the hens will in both situations usually kill the chicks. Putting older pullets or cockerels with chickens is tough depending on the room the birds have to get away from each other and should be done, if possible with several new birds at a time. I like putting mine in at night when every one is on the roost but I am there watching in the morning to see how things are going. There are a few tricks one can use if this does not work but they are a little more time consuming.

Back
Top Bottom