South Carolina

I have only heard it crow maybe twice, I just saw it doing what I call the "mating dance" where it lowers its wing to the ground and prances around a hen... I got them from a very nice lady in NC who couldn't keep them bc she thought the 2 chicks were boys and the large one was their mamma, and didnt want to separate them, but it seems like now "big momma" is "big daddy" and Paul is possibly Paula, or "Mean boy" is possibly "mean girl"... I wish they just came with a sign!

Not sure...pullet or cockerel?

Front bird on left..I know he is a cockerel. He was 1 of 3 game/PR mixes.

Plymouth Rock/Game mix....pullet?

EE/Game mixes.

These were chicks hatched April 1, 2013. I had 5 game eggs, 2 turned out to be the EE/Game mix. I can tell the sex on those 2. They are the last pic.
The other 3, game/PR..I just can't figure out the 3rd one. Some of her traits remind me of a female.

Last edited:

Roo or hen? I thought it was a hen, but now I'm not so sure, it crows occasionally, but I don't know if its bc it's teaching the young ones... If anyone knows I'd be greatly appreciative, and I'd be looking for a mate... Thanks from Darlington, SC
That's a rooster, the comb, and pointed neck (hackle) and saddle feathers coming in are also giveaways, besides the more obvious crowing
wink.png

rockerhen: The top and bottom pics are the same bird. It looks like a cockerel, but also has less hackle feathers and is darker. I couldn't see any saddle feathers yet either.

The middle pic definitely has 2 pullets in it. A Plymouth Rock and the EE/game pullet. If they are the only 2 pullets, then the other 5 of the hatch are cockerels. Bad ratio.
th.gif

rockerhen: The top and bottom pics are the same bird. It looks like a cockerel, but also has less hackle feathers and is darker. I couldn't see any saddle feathers yet either.

The middle pic definitely has 2 pullets in it. A Plymouth Rock and the EE/game pullet. If they are the only 2 pullets, then the other 5 of the hatch are cockerels. Bad ratio.
th.gif
I thought so, wasn't completely sure. Those dark red feathers coming in on the shoulders and are a very male feature, along with those gold hackles and beginning of the saddle.
But tell me about it. I've had a hatch of 8 cockerels (no pullets) before.
th.gif

Anyone in the midlands area? I'm about 20 minutes outside of Columbia. I'm new to the chicken world and trying to figure out all the abbreviations. I was suppose to have one of the chickens for dinner this week and the other was suppose to go to a friend. I couldn't go through with it and of course she needed a friend so I kept both. :) So here I am on BYC and learning as much as I can as fast as I can.

Prissy on the left and Missy on the right.

This is their temporary home until we get their coop and run built. A rabbit hutch and large dog crate. Good thing the dog wasn't using it. ;)

Patrice- Mom to three two legs, three four legs and two cluckers and wife to a very patient husband. ;)

Back
Top Bottom