South Carolina

Traffic that way can be a real bear though. If you can give just a smidge more detail on "Charleston" that might help. 29407 is typically West Ashley. Downtown Charleston is going to have zips like 29401, 20403, etc. That's going to be trickier. I lived in Goose Creek before moving to Holly Hill (and I work in Goose Creek now) and it's an affordable location. If you don't live in the city, it's more cost effective and, if I recall correctly, you won't get fussed at for chickens. Just need to make sure it's in the county and not city.

Traffic that way can be a real bear though. If you can give just a smidge more detail on "Charleston" that might help. 29407 is typically West Ashley. Downtown Charleston is going to have zips like 29401, 20403, etc. That's going to be trickier. I lived in Goose Creek before moving to Holly Hill (and I work in Goose Creek now) and it's an affordable location. If you don't live in the city, it's more cost effective and, if I recall correctly, you won't get fussed at for chickens. Just need to make sure it's in the county and not city.

My headquarters will be out of North Charleston, but that's for only two weeks. I work EMS, so it's going to be all over the county. Holly Hill is way far?

My headquarters will be out of North Charleston, but that's for only two weeks. I work EMS, so it's going to be all over the county. Holly Hill is way far?

Yeah, Holly Hill is roughly 40 miles from North Charleston, one way. I'd say look at Goose Creek for some reasonably priced housing, and look for houses in the county. You probably won't be able to get away with roos out there, but hens shouldn't be a problem. Goose Creek is maybe 10 miles, give or take, from North Charleston as well.

I have 7 hens that are about 3 months old that I would like to put with the rest of my hens. I put one in there to day and one of my hens went on the attack and the new hen ran out of the coop faster than I could turn around. Is there a good way to do this or do I need a new coop.

I have 7 hens that are about 3 months old that I would like to put with the rest of my hens. I put one in there to day and one of my hens went on the attack and the new hen ran out of the coop faster than I could turn around. Is there a good way to do this or do I need a new coop.

You could build a temporary pen and keep them side by side. Don't let them interact but let them see each other through their separate pens safely. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to do this myself. Browse the managing your flock forums and see what other ideas are out there.

You could build a temporary pen and keep them side by side. Don't let them interact but let them see each other through their separate pens safely. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to do this myself. Browse the managing your flock forums and see what other ideas are out there. 

What i do is put the ones i want to introduce in a pen where my flock free range for about a week everyday when i feed the caged ones i spread feed around the outaide of the pens so the other all start getting used to eating with them, after a week i let them loose then they do good still a few little scuffles here and there but that goes away after they learn there place in the flock

I agree about the side by side cage. You can also place the new smaller cage inside the larger cage for a day or two.
For me, I just place my new birds in the pen/run in the evening. The more the better. If you add a single, it will be the an easy target. But, 7 should be less a problem. Toss food in there to occupy them. There will be some picking. But, if its late enough the picking will stop soon due to them going into the coop. Once all the tenured birds are sleepy on roost, I pick up the newbies and roost them with the others. Quickly turn off the lights. They normally sleep together fine. In the morning the newbies will stay on roost while the others go out. A couple days of this and they will assimilate. I don't mind allowing the pecking order to run its course. I limit severe damage, of course. Hopefully there are high roosts to fly too for safety. 7 should be fine. Good luck and congrats on your new fluffy butts!

Hi there! We are in Ridgeville (not far from Summerville). We just moved into our new home in a little farm- we were blessed with a pre existing barn that included one of the stables being a pre-existing chicken coop- it leads out to a covered dog run, with nesting boxes already in place. Good Lord y'all, I don't know the difference between a pullet and a Rooster or scratch and feed? I have a lot to learn! Any words of wisdom? We are looking at getting from Cochins from Bee city (they are so cute and fluffy)- are they good egg layers? Where do I start?! Lol
1f643.png

Hi there! We are in Ridgeville (not far from Summerville). We just moved into our new home in a little farm- we were blessed with a pre existing barn that included one of the stables being a pre-existing chicken coop- it leads out to a covered dog run, with nesting boxes already in place. Good Lord y'all, I don't know the difference between a pullet and a Rooster or scratch and feed? I have a lot to learn! Any words of wisdom? We are looking at getting from Cochins from Bee city (they are so cute and fluffy)- are they good egg layers? Where do I start?! Lol
1f643.png

Hi we're in Abbeville way north of you on the GA line. How many eggs per week are you needing and what are your poultry goals?

1f643.png

Welcome neighbor!

Do lots of reading around the various forums and you'll pick up a load of stuff in no time!

Back
Top Bottom