South Carolina

I would love to see pictures of them!

Just happened to have some...;)

Top: my wife's white Silkie breeders
Middle: two of my nine year old hens roosting.
Bottom: one of my AM pullets.

Thanks if anyone thinks of anything that could help just let us know.
My dad raises chickens in Swansea. It gets around 100 pretty often. He never even uses fans. I have never had serious issues with heat. But, Charleston / Johns Island is not as hot as inland. Keeping water full and cool is the most important part. Check the temperature of the water the container. Is it boiling? Place a shade over the water container or paint it white. Keep tarps on stand by from harbor freight to shade the run if you need. I use fans in the coop angling a little towards the ceiling to remove the heat that likes to rise. Use large box fans. Don't be shy. I have seen my birds stand in front of the fans. On super hot days, my wife freezes watermelon slices and gives it to the birds to peck. Losing 4 birds in 2 days and it isn't even in the 100's has me concerned. Are you certain its the heat? Are they holding wings out and panting hard? What are the rest acting like? I feel for you right now. Hope you get this worked out.
Ryan

Thanks if anyone thinks of anything that could help just let us know.

Hey! We're in SC too, just south of Charlotte, NC. We're new to keeping chickens as well.

I'd say keep an eye out and watch for panting. Yeah, keeping the water fresh and cool is the key thing. Add ice cubes when changing it out if needed. Someone else mentioned frozen watermelon slices. We've been doing that on the hottest days, with temps in the mid-to-high 90s. Our 4 chicks take turns sitting on the slice and pecking at it til it's down to the rind, then we put in a new slice and toss the rind in the compost pile or worm bin. We also put a small tray of water with frozen corn and frozen berries in it, have plenty of tarps on hand to provide extra shade if needed, and keep a small bucket of cool water nearby in case of emergency. If all else failed, we'd planned on dunking the chicks into it just up to their necks. Haven't had to do that yet, and we haven't fussed over using fans or misters since the chicks seem to be doing fine with just fresh water, extra shade, and frozen treats.

Sorry you lost the chicks. That's tough to deal with. We lost one to our own dog a few days after we brought them home.

Last edited:
My dad raises chickens in Swansea. It gets around 100 pretty often. He never even uses fans. I have never had serious issues with heat. But, Charleston / Johns Island is not as hot as inland. Losing 4 birds in 2 days and it isn't even in the 100's has me concerned. Are you certain its the heat? Are they holding wings out and panting hard? What are the rest acting like? I feel for you right now. Hope you get this worked out.
Ryan

My wife and I lived in Swansea some years ago and have family in Charleston. Had our wedding on the beach on Sullivan's
big_smile.png
Love it there. Great advice. Gotta be rough to lose 4 in a couple of days. Hope they get it worked out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom