South Carolina

To tell you the truth, I do not know how old they are. I don't remember when I got them. But if this gives you any idea, I have 6 white mixes, 2 BO's, 2 RIR's, 2 BR's and of all of those, 2 have started to lay. So They are still very youngish. I thought they were going to start laying at the end of this month, but I figured wrong.

And yes, the first egg is the most special. I say this was my first egg I got, but that is from this flock. I had chickens last year and they were all killed by a preditor. So technicaly (sp) this is not me 1st first egg. Just my first egg of this new flock. When you open the coop and see that first egg, your heart will skip a few beats and pride and joy will overcome you. Take it from me, you will want to show EVERYBODY!!! It is funny how we get so excited over an egg. Good luck to you and here is to your first egg (soon I hope)!!!

Quote:
They will get bigger as the chicken gets older
smile.png

Quote:
FYI - My Vet told me to keep the dogs away from chicken poop as it's very high in nitrogen and not good for them. My dogs are in separate yards from the chickens. Even my two that are supposed to be Livestock Guardians cannot be trusted with the birds.....yet.....I'm still hoping one day.
roll.png

I should say that I do have 2 dogs with my chickens, my two oldest, 13 year old shepherd mix. They take care of the birds but they don't eat poop (thank goodness). However, they will eat the eggs if they can find one on the ground.

Last edited:
Huh. I work for a vet and he didn't say anything about it. He thinks it's funny when I go in to work and tell him my chicken stories. I don't let them eat the poop. It usually happens when I drag them across the front yard to my car. The dogs are in the backyard. Chickens are in the front. So they are actually separated. They chase the chickens around. I'll keep that in mind. It's a gross habit I discourage regardless

Back
Top Bottom