South Carolina

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by enola, Feb 1, 2009.

1. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    Welcome from Augusta.

2. Blueberry Hill

Blueberry Hill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Quote:Welcome aboard! I'm in Spartanburg county, near GSP Airport.
    [​IMG]

we drive past GSP all the time, we are near Paris Mtn state park

3. Blueberry Hill

Blueberry Hill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    We just gathered our 1000th egg! Woo Hoo!

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:[​IMG] And welcome to the SC thread! Jump on in and join the fun! We talk, laugh and cry with each other. This is one of the best threads you will find on BYC![​IMG]

6. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:Gosh, I never thought to keep a running count on how many eggs I gather. Cool beans![​IMG]

I am excited that my Muscovy mama started laying again. Her eggs are as big as my Pekin's and I get excited to grab those up. Don't know why other than I love to eat duck eggs. had 2 for supper last night. Yum!

I know I will be just as excited when the Guineas start giving me eggs. Can't wait to eat those rocks.......I mean, hard shelled eggs.[​IMG]

7. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Looks like my rooster camp party may not happen in the morning. Looks like lots of rain may be coming. If it isn't too bad we will still be putting lots in the freezer because they have to move out somehow but if it is pouring, we won't, of course.

With this past week being such a good week and the 12th coming up for shipping out 5 boxes of birds, I am really getting down in those numbers. Still just as many waterers to fill but at least not as many to check weights, deworm and check for creepy crawly bugs. Unfortunately, with the weather starting to turn I am sure I will have to buy more feed for them all. I will be happy to get under 500 though! And with my brooder room almost empty (I think I only have about 150 left in there) I can walk so much better.

8. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    Quote:Hello and welcome to the forum [​IMG]

9. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have to tell you all, these Guineas have been an interesting adventure.

The Guinea girl and boy have been hanging around the barn with their two babies. Last night I figured they would all huddle in the nest area to sleep but around twilight the Guinea Boy was in the coop again and I asked him to make sure that is where he wanted to sleep and he stayed in there so I closed the door after closing the others up, so he did have a chance to leave if he wanted. I had no idea where Guinea girl and babies were since I did not see them. [​IMG]

This morning I go down to open all the coops and Guinea girl was pacing the front of the chicken coop with Guinea boy inside talking to her. I didn't see the babies and was worried they had been forgotten or died. When I went to open the coop Guinea boy put his wings out and down and the herd of buffalo.....I mean, chickens came pouring out and then after they were gone the Guinea boy came out with the 2 keets! [​IMG]
    I never knew that the Guinea boys were the ones to care for the keets. I thought it was the mama bird but this fella has been caring for them since they hatched out and is constantly chasing anything that gets near them. He shows them where to eat and what to eat and I praise him up one side and down the other. He loves the attention I give him and while Guinea girl was on the nest he often followed me around like before she came to live here.

I just wanted to share that about the Guineas. It has been really neat to watch them the past few days. However, with the rains coming in tonight and tomorrow I will have to scoop the keets and add them to the brooder with their siblings and friends. But while they were out with their parents it has been a lot of enjoyment and education to watch them.[​IMG]

10. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to everyone new!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by