South Carolina

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by enola, Feb 1, 2009.

1. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:congrats... Im still working on my first dozen.. I told the girls this morning they are not going out int he yard loose till they get their work done.. I have 5 out of 6 laying and some how when they are loose only 3 are coming back to the box. so.. [​IMG] . I had to use some tough love.. [​IMG] good grief with all the feed and the goodies and love, I give them they should be giving me Golden Eggs.. hahah...

what kind of hens do you have? 1000 eggs wow how long did that take?

)O(

2. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

I love guineas! [​IMG] I sat outside yesterday on the deck steps & laughed at mine. One would find a cricket and take off with the other three & one of the turkeys after it. The turkey would give up but the four guineas played keep away with crickets! [​IMG]

When the turkeys and guineas are eating bugs or whatever, if the turkeys wander off - once the guineas realize the turkeys are not there, they go to calling and take off running or flying to wherever the turkeys are. [​IMG]

All four of my guineas (Amy, one of those from you is a girl! [​IMG] ) hang with my turkeys. They do not pay me much attention, but when I go outside, my bourbon red comes running followed by at least one guinea, then the rest of the gang comes running up. It is rather funny to be ambushed by a bunch of turkeys, guineas & chickens when I go outside.

Since it is supposed to rain, I have a few things to get done. I need to move one of my broody hens, she is due to hatch any day now. And get my tractor of chicks either moved or something so they do not drown.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  3. pinkwindsong

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:Gosh, I never thought to keep a running count on how many eggs I gather. Cool beans![​IMG]

I am excited that my Muscovy mama started laying again. Her eggs are as big as my Pekin's and I get excited to grab those up. Don't know why other than I love to eat duck eggs. had 2 for supper last night. Yum!

I know I will be just as excited when the Guineas start giving me eggs. Can't wait to eat those rocks.......I mean, hard shelled eggs.[​IMG]

[​IMG] I can see you counting your eggs now... you would have a running tape on a calculator 3 miles long.. and it would take you [​IMG] days...

but you know I am curious.. [​IMG] how many eggs do you think you have had this year alone.. lets face it there are a c few of yall that are some egg hatching momma's... [​IMG]

you know Im gonna have to get a couple ducks for next year just for eggs. so you'll have to make sure I get the best egg layers,, I dont want as many as you just enough for the family.. I got to try me some of dos eggs !!!!

speaking of ducks does anyone have a recommendation on how to get snapping turtles out of your pond???? I didn't get ducks or geese this year because I know their in there.. [​IMG] oooh i hate me some snappers.. [​IMG]

)O(

4. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

And after being sick this past week, I am pretty sure I am going to have a rough winter. I am seriously considering downsizing a little bit. I know DD & DH would take care of everything for me - they do when I have a migraine and can't go out - but I do not want to depend on them to take care of my birds.

I do not know how to decide who goes. DH and I were talking yesterday and he is leaving it up to me - by the time I named what I wanted to keep, he said that was everything. [​IMG]

Joy - did I ever tell you my d'uccle roo that I hatched is not red or brown? I will see if we can get a picture of him.

5. pinkwindsong

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Robert...
    You forgot to remind me.. [​IMG] .. if you talk to Kris.. tell her I said "good luck this weekend and to grab a major or two.. let's get those points... beat those dogs..... Put a B*tch up as best in show.. you go girl....!!! "

im trying to be her little cheerleading squad here. !! how was that???? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

)O(

let us know how the show is going...

6. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Hey Amy there's 100% chance of rain tomorrow. Boo!

7. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    Anyone near the CSRA with a Delaware Roo? I have 2 hens I want to breed. I cannot have a roo because I live in the city. I just want one for studding until I get some fertalized eggs. What is the norm for this?

8. Blueberry Hill

Blueberry Hill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Quote:Gosh, I never thought to keep a running count on how many eggs I gather. Cool beans![​IMG]

I am excited that my Muscovy mama started laying again. Her eggs are as big as my Pekin's and I get excited to grab those up. Don't know why other than I love to eat duck eggs. had 2 for supper last night. Yum!

I know I will be just as excited when the Guineas start giving me eggs. Can't wait to eat those rocks.......I mean, hard shelled eggs.[​IMG]

[​IMG] I can see you counting your eggs now... you would have a running tape on a calculator 3 miles long.. and it would take you [​IMG] days...

but you know I am curious.. [​IMG] how many eggs do you think you have had this year alone.. lets face it there are a c few of yall that are some egg hatching momma's... [​IMG]

you know Im gonna have to get a couple ducks for next year just for eggs. so you'll have to make sure I get the best egg layers,, I dont want as many as you just enough for the family.. I got to try me some of dos eggs !!!!

speaking of ducks does anyone have a recommendation on how to get snapping turtles out of your pond???? I didn't get ducks or geese this year because I know their in there.. [​IMG] oooh i hate me some snappers.. [​IMG]

)O(

we got our first hen back on May 7, so right at 4 months. We started with 10 Comets, and now we have a bit more. Our girls have been steady laying, for the most part, although my 3 Americaunas have slowed way down the last 2 weeks. Not a good thing since one of our trademarks is a blue egg in every dozen we sell (Blueberry Hill Farm) We have currently laying: Comets, RIR, BO, and Cuckoo Marans. We have in varying ages of chicks: Comets, RIR, Black Australorps, Cuckoo Marans, Turkens and BC Marans

9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:From my estimates........... 7368 eggs this year...... so far. Book keeping can be a good thing. But I hate doing it.
    That is a rough figure as I find eggs way too small to bring to the house. You know, the fart eggs that aren't really as big as your thumb nail so those get fed back. And some eggs are cracked so I toss those to the chickens and ducks and then I set some myself to hatch so I didn't count those because it would take too long to go through the paper work.

That gives you a rough estimate. [​IMG]

10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Jackie B. :

Hey Amy there's 100% chance of rain tomorrow. Boo!

I know! I posted it earlier this morning on here. I am not sure we will be putting any roos in the freezer. DH and I have been building a good bit today and I have tried to organize all the birds so they won't float away if we get a lot of rain.

If it is misting we will go ahead and do it but I have a feeling it will rain buckets. I was afraid it would since most all Labor Days are rainy but I was hoping for warm mist instead of a deluge. I think Lee is going to take care of that.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by