South Carolina

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by enola, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Moonchild

Moonchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Spartanburg,SC
    It's Offical my chicks made it to the ugly stage!!!!! I'm still in aww of the brown chicks with the weird feathers....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh but I feel bad...I did something bad...Well not really. My neighbor's(two houses down that I can't stand) cat was in my fence and was lookin at my baby chicks...WHAT...Well I yelled at it then stomped at it...The cat just looked at me like "Whatever"...so I looked at it and Said "we'll see I'm getting the dogs"... so yelling for Piper to "GET IT" and she did hunt it.....and she caught it...I yelled NO(see i'm a super animal person and I just couldn't do it) She dropped the cat and it jumped the fence in 1 second. Although I hate this cat I really didn't want it dead(well maybe if it had got one of my chicks, but rooster is on it)...Poor Piper was like "What you told me to get it""Geesh"..."Let me in the house".....I hope this cat took the hint and will not come back...but I know it didn't cause Piper has almost got it before., maybe I should turn a blind eye. Cause if one of my precious chcikens went across his yard, Dinner it would be.!!! Boo to Bad People!!!!

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks for the well wishes and cheerleading. It wasnt our weekend, oh well another show in 2 weeks in Pa. But I did bring home some beautiful Partridge Wyandottes. I got 1 hen and 4 pullets and a cockeral. They hen already laid an egg for us, and it could be fertile. I think we may try our hand at incubating for the first time. Of course we will see if she gives us a few more eggs first.

3. dixiebeast

dixiebeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    IS THAT.......(dramatic pause).........RAIN!!

We need it sooooo bad....but we havent seen rain since I got my Silkies, OESB Banties, or BLRW bitties....hope I have all protected well?! Lets pray its just needed rain [​IMG] ,not major flooding rain!![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  4. Joycats

Joycats Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Good for Guinea Boy!! Maybe he knew his wife needed a good night's sleep so he took the night shift. [​IMG] Honestly, I've never seen that before. Even with chickens, the only roosters that help with the chicks are my mille fleur d'uccle roos. Now the other roos will adopt chicks/juveniles that don't have a mother hen and take them under their wing. My extra roos raised up my last hatch of guinea keets last year. Covered them with their wings at night and kept them warm, taught them to sleep in the coop etc. Never seen that with guineas.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  5. Joycats

Quote:Those chicks are NOT ugly!! Shame on you for saying that. That brown chick will turn out to be the prettiest yet. You wait and see. And poor kitty, yes we have to protect our chicks but I love kitties too. My cats do not bother my birds, thank goodness.

6. Joycats

Quote:I know that's such a hard thing to even think about. I'm sure you'll find good homes for whatever you decide.

It really is hard to decide! I know I will be keeping all of my silkies & wyandottes.

Kimberly, what color is your roo? A friend of mine hatched some really unusual mille colors too. She shared 2 of them back with me and one roo has a rose comb and is silver laced! I swear he was crossed with a silver sebright but she doesn't have any and mine have always been penned separately. No way they crossed with the mille's. I'm confused. So what color is your rooster?

7. Joycats

Jackie B. :

I'm sitting on the front deck drinking a bevvie and chicken watching and it is just unusually quiet. I'm thinking we re going to get more than rain tomorrow!

I noticed the extreme quiet this afternoon too Jackie. It was kind of eerie, made me think we're in for some bad, bad weather. Hope everybody stays safe and dry. I know we need the rain but I am not looking forward to all the mud that I will have. I tried to lock down brooder house lids, add extra shavings to the pens without grass and even added a heat lamp for my smallest guinea keets. If they're right about the temps, it'll be too cool for some of the babies. Moved tractors to fresh grass too. Hopefully I thought of all the important things. This makes me think I have some getting ready to do before winter comes too. I hate to see summer go, even though we need relief from the heat.​

8. Joycats

Quote:Welcome aboard! I'm in Spartanburg county, near GSP Airport.
    [​IMG]

we drive past GSP all the time, we are near Paris Mtn state park

If you go down I-85 you're driving right by me. I'm at exit 60.

9. Joycats

Quote:Hey Redbug - I'm not holding out much hopes for these guinea eggs. When I received them, I didn't have my new incubator so I thought it would be best/safest to give the eggs to my bantam hens who were determined to set. They had raised one clutch and continued to sit on infertile eggs. Well, they've been less than consistent. They've kicked out some of the eggs which I find after they are cold. I don't know why they're doing this but I always candle and if the eggs look viable at all I stick them in my incubator. They are due to hatch tomorrow actually. I candled eggs Fri night and saw movement in only one egg. You know how that goes, I will still hope they all hatch but ...... I'll be sure and let you know. If nothing else, I definately want to get some more eggs from you in the spring. I'm feeling good about my new incubator and making all kinds of hatching plans. [​IMG] My silver duckwings and white OE are still raising up their babies. Hopefully they will start giving me eggs again soon so I can share some back with you. I haven't forgotten.

10. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:Thanks for the well wishes and cheerleading. It wasnt our weekend, oh well another show in 2 weeks in Pa. But I did bring home some beautiful Partridge Wyandottes. I got 1 hen and 4 pullets and a cockeral. They hen already laid an egg for us, and it could be fertile. I think we may try our hand at incubating for the first time. Of course we will see if she gives us a few more eggs first.

shes gonna stop letting you travel with her if you keep bringing home chickens.. ahhaha..

sorry to hear about the loss. but next time Ill get more people in on the cheering..

glad ya'll are back in SC safe..
    )O(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by