South Carolina

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by enola, Feb 1, 2009.

1. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    It is absolutely GORGEOUS outside! I LOVE temperatures in the 60s. All chicken chores are done and Now I can just sit on the back porch with some coffee and watch my fish swimming around the little pond. Oh! I almost forgot! My mealworms should be here today too! Hope everyone else has a fantastic day!

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:The Guineas have been fun to watch! When Guinea boy was alone, before Joy brought him a girlfriend and when she was sitting on the nest he would run around playing games with the chickens. He loved to sneak up on someone eating grass or food and scare them. They would jump straight up and he would, too! Then he would spread his wings, put his head low and race around the barn yard with delight. Now he is serious with the keets and makes sure they are right behind the mama. They have been a great team raising these babies. I hope they survive but experts say it is most unlikely. I am not worried about the cold nights as much as hawks or snakes.

3. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:It IS terrific out there. I, too, am done with feeding and watering but I still haven't put the baby ducks or chicks out in the pens. I felt it was too cool and damp after being in a warm dry brooder room all night so I will wait until the sun has warmed it enough. I love the 60s but babies don't. I am still wearing a tank top and shorts and loving the cool air.

I know you are excited about the meal worms! They are so easy and it is great food for the chicks or chickens. I still can't convince my Guineas these are good for them though.

Have you been reading the meal worm thread? I don't get over there often enough but if something important happens then hannakat will PM and let me know so I can go read up on things.

I hope it dries up a bit so I can paint some today. I have so much painting waiting on me. And it isn't my favorite job either. Kimberly and Nicole were great to come paint a crate for me so I can get it going for condos. Now only about 7 more need painting! [​IMG]

4. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    [​IMG] It got down to 54 this morning.

5. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    This day couldn't get any more perfect!!! Can't wait to go and plant some flowers outside this afternoon~ I think I will finally be able to turn off the fan in the chicken house! [​IMG]

6. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
  8. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:I turned off the fans in the brooder room and Silkie/Cochin shed the other day and haven't turned them back on. I left them in the windows because I suspect we will still have some warmer days but the end of this month I will remove them and store them for the winter (meaning I will shove them back under some junk so I can't find them next spring until after I buy new ones!)

I did plant some Hostas and Iris I got from the Swap thread but it was a chore. My head has been pounding all day. This weather is so gorgeous but it gives my sinuses fits. I have taken Advil and then Goodies and now may resort to Alka Seltzer Plus Cold. I hate taking any type of meds but my chores are really a chore now!

I hope everyone else is getting a lot done and enjoying this beautiful day. We don't get many this great![​IMG]

9. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:This is a class to teach you how to candle and read the eggs? Seriously? [​IMG]
    Or is it about something else and I am missing it?

10. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    yes, it is an official class to certify in candelling and egg grading. In Ga you must have this certification to sell eggs off your proprerty or in farmers markets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by