South Carolina

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by enola, Feb 1, 2009.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:Oh, how pretty! I can't wait until mine are grown![​IMG]

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:I use Eprinex (Ivermectin) when I have to fight mites strongly. I put a drop behind the neck or between the shoulder blades and one under each wing. A smaller dropper syringe (1 cc) for bantams or the large 12 cc for the big birds. And for a manly sized bird like Langshans...he gets a bit more between the shoulder blades, like 3 drops.
    It is safe to eat the eggs after use as long as you are not allergic to the medicine. It is used to treat humans, too.
    However, if I am selling the eggs for eating I do not sell those for at least a week (you never know if someone could have a reaction) so I try to apply it to birds that are starting to molt or are broody so there isn't a problem with the eggs.

This takes care of intestinal and external parasites except for Coccidiosis, lung flukes or tapeworms. At least I think I read it doesn't do lung flukes. I better go back and read that again.

Eprinex is the most affordable of all the ivomec products. You can find it in the pour on cattle wormer section at TSC or online supply stores.

I don't like to use it because I try to stay as natural and close to organic as possible but when you are battling mites and lice sometimes you have to bring out the big guns. The bugs around my place laugh at Sevin and DE, though I do put those down or on the birds on occasion. However, Sevin is still a synthesized chemical compound.

3. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    Nice looking .
    Quote:

4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:very very pretty birds.. great breeding program youve got going..
    )O(

5. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:this is math???? hum. [​IMG] well ya'll its finally legit,,, [​IMG] WE HAVE CHICKEN MATH !! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Im not going to show this to Morgan though shell try to do chicken math all day instead of algebra.. [​IMG]

)O( [​IMG]

6. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Quote:I've used Ivermectin. Is that the same thing? Just put it on their neck. Seemed to work but you can't eat the eggs for two weeks.

Humm, yes it is the same--I think I was just misspelling it!! [​IMG] How many drops do you put on them? Plus, bantams verse standards?

I didn't read the next page so this might have already been answered. I'm pretty sure I did two drops for bantams and five drops for large. And tried to make sure it got down to the skin. Just like you would put flea meds on a dog or cat.

7. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Quote:What is this exactly? It's pretty but I don't understand!

8. Lroach711

Lroach711 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Pickens, SC
    Quote:What is this exactly? It's pretty but I don't understand!

It's part of our geometry section. You start with a polygon..I started with a square. If you cut from one side, you add that cut out piece to the other..and so on. Here's the process I did:

[​IMG]

By definition tesselations are any arrangement in which nonoverlapping figures are place together to entirely cover a region. They are often found in floor tile decorations. There are only 3 regular polygons that tessellate: equilateral triangles, hexagons, and squares.

I made mine even prettier [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  9. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    very creative.

10. Southern Bee Lady

Southern Bee Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Upstate SC
    Quote:I sent in an email today to sign up. I just want to learn how to candle eggs. I have been guessing at what I see--which is usually nothing or all black. [​IMG] I would like to be able to identify blood spots in eggs. I am not comfortable selling eggs now.
    If I find blood spots in the eggs when I break them, I fry them for the doggies. They don't mind them at all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by