South Carolina

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by enola, Feb 1, 2009.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:I sent in an email today to sign up. I just want to learn how to candle eggs. I have been guessing at what I see--which is usually nothing or all black. [​IMG] I would like to be able to identify blood spots in eggs. I am not comfortable selling eggs now.
    If I find blood spots in the eggs when I break them, I fry them for the doggies. They don't mind them at all. [​IMG]

I eat mine with blood spots but DH won't.

The secret to candling is a fabulous LED light.
    Anytime you want to see what's inside an egg just come on over. I have a fabulously bright light, lots of eggs in all stages of development and you won't have to drive nearly as far.
    Kimberly can come over and show you her magic, too. According to Nicole, Kimberly candles every day! [​IMG]

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:I hate to hear that. I know some birds can be more prone to problems than others. I
    did put drops of Eprinex on the 2 girls I brought home because they eat like starving maniacs all the time. They seem healthy, very active and alert but I put starter in their food cup 4 times a day and they gobble it up immediatly. They are thin by my standards but I am used to the chunky Cochins. I am waiting another week before taking a stool sample to be checked.
    The 2 girls I have do not have as large of crests as some do. They can still see pretty well. I am debating on keeping them to cross with my Silkie roo so I can get offspring to help make Sizzles. That has worked well for me to improve the top knots on the Sizzles. But I have several people interested in them and I am not sure that they will stay very long. I really am liking the gold laced one though! She would be gorgeous crossed with my Tawny boy.

3. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Hey everyone my rooster that was attacked a week ago is alive and well! He's actually back outside (the front yard now ) and he looks pretty rough with feathers missing and such, but boy is he happy to be outside! Lucky guy!

4. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Hey I also am trying to catch up. Reading others having trouble with cocci. I'm having so many issues with it right now it makes me want to burn down my coop.

I lost my sultan (crested bird) I got at the swap. Probably because she had little resistance to it. Then my young polish mix has it in a tub in my garage and I am doing what I can to keep him alive. I also had a pheasant die last week. My coop is looking rather bare. The only ones left now are adult birds who had the cocci originally when I got the first outbreak and 2 older wyandottes from Jack.

I've been using the crap out of corid. And I have never tried sulmet, but I can't find it. The TSC doesn't have it.

Sigh. Im just having birds dropping one by one with the telltale signs of cocci. I must have an evil strain of it. Right now I can't sell or buy. I'm just happy I've always kept my seramas in a different location.

5. Lroach711

Lroach711 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Pickens, SC
    Quote:I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with cocci [​IMG] I feel your pain! Out of the 7 birds I started with in my chicken tractor, only 3 are left. From now on, I'm raising chicks either in my barn or in a raised brooder on wire. The chicks I raised in the barn are happy and healthy and haven't had a single problem! I was able to find Sulmet at a local feed store, but here's somewhere you can get it online. I got them to order it for me at work and I just went ahead and bought a whole gallon.

http://www.jefferspet.com/sulmet/p/16350/

I think the price on jeffers is actually less than what I paid for it through my work. [​IMG]

6. RedBugPoultry

RedBugPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Jasper Co., S.C.
    Quote:Lark, I feel your pain! As far as the sulmet, have you looked on ebay? They sell it on there sometimes. I have never used corid but sulmet will knock out the cocci. The problem is if the birds have had several attacks of cocci the can develop secondary infections so the then need an antibiotic. I really think the polish are more susceptible to cocci. I am sure I have lots of it in the ground around here with all these guineas--which thank goodness are pretty healthy! [​IMG]

(Looks like several of us feel your pain! You are not alone!!)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  7. Southern Bee Lady

Southern Bee Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Upstate SC
    Quote:Mary - I have looked for this at TSC since last spring but they don't carry it here anymore, not at my local TSC. They've also stopped selling Sulmet and most other poultry meds.

Joy I bought this at the Mauldin or Seneca TSC 3 or 4 months ago. I have noticed they almost always have the giant size available but that would probably treat thousands of chickens. [​IMG] They sell out of the smaller size as soon as it comes in since it is so much cheaper than the name brands.

No one has Sulmet (powder form) brand any more. I was able to find SMZ-Med 454 Sodium Sulfamethazine Soluble Powder at Riddles Farm Supply in Easley. It was $28.95 (makes 1 gal.) which is a lot cheaper than the pint bottles of Sulmet (premixed) that Southern States in Anderson sells.
    I have been trying to stock up on different meds I might need to keep on hand since Pickens is so far from everything. [​IMG]

8. Southern Bee Lady

Southern Bee Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Upstate SC
    Quote:How do you use it? What amount on what size birds?

This is the dosage I use for lice/mites and internal worms. It is easier for me to measure in a syringe (without needle) than to try to hold the chicken (who does not always cooperate) and count drops.

speckledhen says about the pour-on ivermectin (Epinrex:) .25 cc dropped on the back of the neck for bantams, and 0.5 cc for heavy breeds; easy enough to measure with a syringe. You don't have to rub it in, but you do need to raise the feathers and drop it on the skin, of course.

I also found this:
    With Ivermectin pour on:

1 drop-OeGB sixed small bantam female

2 drops OEGB sixed small bantam male

3 drops- average bantams

4 drops- large bantams, small standards, commercial fowl

5 drops- most commercial fowl, small giant hens

6 drops- giant breeds

9. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Quote:I sent in an email today to sign up. I just want to learn how to candle eggs. I have been guessing at what I see--which is usually nothing or all black. [​IMG] I would like to be able to identify blood spots in eggs. I am not comfortable selling eggs now.
    If I find blood spots in the eggs when I break them, I fry them for the doggies. They don't mind them at all. [​IMG]

I eat mine with blood spots but DH won't.

The secret to candling is a fabulous LED light.
    Anytime you want to see what's inside an egg just come on over. I have a fabulously bright light, lots of eggs in all stages of development and you won't have to drive nearly as far.
    Kimberly can come over and show you her magic, too. According to Nicole, Kimberly candles every day! [​IMG]

I do not! [​IMG]

I did have a dream last night that I opened the incubator and had like a zillion chicks stuck in the turner. [​IMG]

10. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Quote:How do you use it? What amount on what size birds?

This is the dosage I use for lice/mites and internal worms. It is easier for me to measure in a syringe (without needle) than to try to hold the chicken (who does not always cooperate) and count drops.

speckledhen says about the pour-on ivermectin (Epinrex:) .25 cc dropped on the back of the neck for bantams, and 0.5 cc for heavy breeds; easy enough to measure with a syringe. You don't have to rub it in, but you do need to raise the feathers and drop it on the skin, of course.

I also found this:
    With Ivermectin pour on:

1 drop-OeGB sixed small bantam female

2 drops OEGB sixed small bantam male

3 drops- average bantams

4 drops- large bantams, small standards, commercial fowl

5 drops- most commercial fowl, small giant hens

6 drops- giant breeds

Glad no one asked me. All I can do is guess - I just put it on there. I asked DH how much he used on dogs & goats & went from that. I think last time I used 3 drops on bantams and 5 on LF. I only use it twice a year, unless I have new birds to add.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by