South Carolina

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by enola, Feb 1, 2009.

  1. WestKnollAmy

    WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

    10,061
    207
    361
    Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:That is so wonderful to hear! I am happy for you and him! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
     
  2. WestKnollAmy

    WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

    10,061
    207
    361
    Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    This is the first year I have put any chicks on wire to raise them, hoping that it would stop any outbreaks of coccidiosis because I do not feed a medicated feed. Wire flooring did not help. Imagine my surprise when the fecal was positive for it. [​IMG]
    Of course, every vet I talk to says to use the medicated feed and really, dollar for dollar the medicated feed comes out cheaper in the long run than buying bottles of Sulmet. My problem is that the 4 local feed stores I visit seem to have a real problem understanding how to keep their inventory stocked and often they do not have medicated starter in or Sulmet. [​IMG]
    I do feed sporting bird starter to Guineas and Marans and it is medicated with the Amprolin. Funny thing is that my Marans will still show up with it on occasion. [​IMG]

    Do any of you notice that it is the chicks that are around 2-5 months old that seem to get it and have it worse? I have noticed that one mine. I feed Williams mash to my chicks, even the Marans, for the first few weeks and then mix in the sporting bird starter to change the Marans over when I move them to another pen.
     
  3. Lroach711

    Lroach711 Chillin' With My Peeps

    654
    0
    131
    Mar 17, 2010
    Pickens, SC
    Quote:Mine that got it were in the 2-5 month range and most of them died even though they were fed medicated starter and I treated with sulmet [​IMG]
     
  4. Joycats

    Joycats Chillin' With My Peeps

    Quote:I sent in an email today to sign up. I just want to learn how to candle eggs. I have been guessing at what I see--which is usually nothing or all black. [​IMG] I would like to be able to identify blood spots in eggs. I am not comfortable selling eggs now.
    If I find blood spots in the eggs when I break them, I fry them for the doggies. They don't mind them at all. [​IMG]

    I eat mine with blood spots but DH won't.

    The secret to candling is a fabulous LED light.
    Anytime you want to see what's inside an egg just come on over. I have a fabulously bright light, lots of eggs in all stages of development and you won't have to drive nearly as far.
    Kimberly can come over and show you her magic, too. According to Nicole, Kimberly candles every day! [​IMG]

    Amy - what kind of flashlight do you use? I have one that works great for all eggs except marans. Still haven't found anything that lets me see inside those dark eggs.
     
  5. Blueberry Hill

    Blueberry Hill Out Of The Brooder

    48
    0
    21
    Aug 7, 2011
    Quote:I sent in an email today to sign up. I just want to learn how to candle eggs. I have been guessing at what I see--which is usually nothing or all black. [​IMG] I would like to be able to identify blood spots in eggs. I am not comfortable selling eggs now.
    If I find blood spots in the eggs when I break them, I fry them for the doggies. They don't mind them at all. [​IMG]

    I eat mine with blood spots but DH won't.

    The secret to candling is a fabulous LED light.
    Anytime you want to see what's inside an egg just come on over. I have a fabulously bright light, lots of eggs in all stages of development and you won't have to drive nearly as far.
    Kimberly can come over and show you her magic, too. According to Nicole, Kimberly candles every day! [​IMG]

    I may take you up on that sometime. Where in the upstate are you?
     
  6. huckleberryfarm

    huckleberryfarm Chickenista

    Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Quote:What is this exactly? It's pretty but I don't understand!

    It's part of our geometry section. You start with a polygon..I started with a square. If you cut from one side, you add that cut out piece to the other..and so on. Here's the process I did:

    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/51428_ptdc0011.jpg

    By definition tesselations are any arrangement in which nonoverlapping figures are place together to entirely cover a region. They are often found in floor tile decorations. There are only 3 regular polygons that tessellate: equilateral triangles, hexagons, and squares.


    I made mine even prettier [​IMG] https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/51428_ptdc0009.jpg

    That is impressive and lovely!
     
  7. Lroach711

    Lroach711 Chillin' With My Peeps

    654
    0
    131
    Mar 17, 2010
    Pickens, SC
    Quote:It's part of our geometry section. You start with a polygon..I started with a square. If you cut from one side, you add that cut out piece to the other..and so on. Here's the process I did:

    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/51428_ptdc0011.jpg

    By definition tesselations are any arrangement in which nonoverlapping figures are place together to entirely cover a region. They are often found in floor tile decorations. There are only 3 regular polygons that tessellate: equilateral triangles, hexagons, and squares.


    I made mine even prettier [​IMG] https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/51428_ptdc0009.jpg

    That is impressive and lovely!

    Thanks! I love stuff like this...when I teach I'll be coming up with crafts for everything!!
     
  8. Larkspur88

    Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

    841
    1
    121
    Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Mine are also in the 2-5 month range. [​IMG]
     
  9. Blueberry Hill

    Blueberry Hill Out Of The Brooder

    48
    0
    21
    Aug 7, 2011
    my mealworms came today! I put them in the prepared bed/ How soon til I have beetles that will create more little buggers?
     
  10. Joycats

    Joycats Chillin' With My Peeps

    Quote:What is this exactly? It's pretty but I don't understand!

    It's part of our geometry section. You start with a polygon..I started with a square. If you cut from one side, you add that cut out piece to the other..and so on. Here's the process I did:

    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/51428_ptdc0011.jpg

    By definition tesselations are any arrangement in which nonoverlapping figures are place together to entirely cover a region. They are often found in floor tile decorations. There are only 3 regular polygons that tessellate: equilateral triangles, hexagons, and squares.


    I made mine even prettier [​IMG] https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/51428_ptdc0009.jpg

    I love this, it is beautiful! But am I the only one wondering why the heck you're doing Geometry in Elem Ed classes? Just wondering [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by