South Carolina

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by enola, Feb 1, 2009.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:Mine that got it were in the 2-5 month range and most of them died even though they were fed medicated starter and I treated with sulmet [​IMG]

Isn't that really interesting? Medicated is supposed to help break the growth cycle of the cocci but it sometimes doesn't. I think we just had a large growth of it this year, just like with the mites and lice. I have never had such a bad year!

2. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:I eat mine with blood spots but DH won't.

The secret to candling is a fabulous LED light.
    Anytime you want to see what's inside an egg just come on over. I have a fabulously bright light, lots of eggs in all stages of development and you won't have to drive nearly as far.
    Kimberly can come over and show you her magic, too. According to Nicole, Kimberly candles every day! [​IMG]

I may take you up on that sometime. Where in the upstate are you?

Love your avatar!
    I am located on the Spartanburg/Greenville county line between Greer and Inman in an area called Holly Springs.

3. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:I got my 5000 mealworms in April, they started pupating about 2 weeks later and ten days to 2 weeks after that I had beetles. I did not see mealie babies for quite a while because they are so tiny at hatch so it was another month to 6 weeks before I saw any. Now, they are taking over my den! I have 4 large plastic tubs/bins full of them. I really have got to start putting them in the fridge so I can keep cycling through for feed all winter.

I have been buying 50# bags of apples and feeding the chickens for the past 2 weeks. Man, they sure love those fresh foods. And you can't beat $5 a bag for extra food, especially in the breeding pens.
    I cut corners where I can and mealies and apples are a huge help. Not to mention, the mealies love apples, too!

Congrats to my fellow South Carolinians who got mealies today! [​IMG] I am so happy to have friends with the same interests!

4. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:I eat mine with blood spots but DH won't.

The secret to candling is a fabulous LED light.
    Anytime you want to see what's inside an egg just come on over. I have a fabulously bright light, lots of eggs in all stages of development and you won't have to drive nearly as far.
    Kimberly can come over and show you her magic, too. According to Nicole, Kimberly candles every day! [​IMG]

Wonderful. Next time I am heading that way, I will let you know. Thanks

Mary, you know you are welcome anytime! My DD's bathroom and my walk in closet have no windows so they are perfect for candling!
    I let some folks over on the swap thread know about you and your great honey. they were asking about honey. I suppose I may have to offer up one of my special well loved jars to prove how fabulous it is to them! If you get orders from it I may ask for a jar for free! [​IMG]

And Debra said she loves your creamed honey, as well. I shared a jar with her and have given a jar or two to Kimberly, too. I think the creamed honey is fabulous! Almost.....almost.... makes me want to get my own bees. But I will leave that to you![​IMG]

5. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:Yes, I have made my order. It will be fun to see how the girls and boys like them! [​IMG] Mine are to be here Monday!

Wow! Another mealie owner!!! [​IMG]

I am shipping out a bunch on Monday! I offered some of mine up on the swap thread and have folks wanting to do side swaps to try their hand at it. Super simple, really cheap and the rewards are tremendous![​IMG]

6. CarolinaChickenKeeper

CarolinaChickenKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    Pauline, SC
    I'm not a bragger, but I am sooo excited about this I must share.....I sold 5 silkies today!!! One pullet and four roos.
    [​IMG] I'm bragging bout the selling four roos part......[​IMG]

7. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    Anybody try soldier flies. I have them in my compost, but I am concerned about them carying "germs" from the poop.

8. oneofseven

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    Quote:That's great news.

9. CarolinaChickenKeeper

CarolinaChickenKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    Pauline, SC
    Quote:No clue what that is???

10. oneofseven