South Carolina

There is so much info on mealworms. Do a search on BYC or on Youtube. There are videos and tutorials. No, it is not expensive. You can go the cheap and long route, like me and but a small pack at a feed store for $4. Or buy them by the 1,000's and have a colony ultra fast. Either way, your animals will LOVE them.
droolin.gif

Quote:
celebrate.gif
That is great! Mostly about those roos as they are always harder to move out but getting money for them is even better!
clap.gif

I gave Debra 3 roos yesterday and was happy to have them gone. Now only two hundred fifty million to go........it seems like anyhow.
lol.png

Quote:
I got my 5000 mealworms in April, they started pupating about 2 weeks later and ten days to 2 weeks after that I had beetles. I did not see mealie babies for quite a while because they are so tiny at hatch so it was another month to 6 weeks before I saw any. Now, they are taking over my den! I have 4 large plastic tubs/bins full of them. I really have got to start putting them in the fridge so I can keep cycling through for feed all winter.

I have been buying 50# bags of apples and feeding the chickens for the past 2 weeks. Man, they sure love those fresh foods. And you can't beat $5 a bag for extra food, especially in the breeding pens.
I cut corners where I can and mealies and apples are a huge help. Not to mention, the mealies love apples, too!

Congrats to my fellow South Carolinians who got mealies today!
woot.gif
I am so happy to have friends with the same interests!

I am right next to Paris Mtn State Park, not that far.

Where do you find huge bags of apples for $5? I need to get some of those

Up here is peach and apple orchard country. Blackwell Farms has a produce barn on Holly Springs Rd and I stop by on the way home from picking up DD from school. Peaches were hard to bring home and feed because they are often very soft and draw bees but the apples are still in great shape. The chicks on the floor of the brooder room are eating them out of the bag! I have to keep the other bag in the carport and hope the free rangers don't get any ideas. They usually have plenty to eat in the pastures without tearing into the apples but I toss some out for them anyhow. My Marans are eating about 4 a day in a pen of 6 birds each. I told them to enjoy them while they last as this is one of the last fresh fruits of the season. One Cochin pen has definitely been eating them too much. DH kinda over did it on the treats for them.
sickbyc.gif

The muscadines or scuppernongs are still coming in, too. And don't forget about the Persimmons. They love them, as well.

Quote:
I have my meal worms bins in the house. Too many mice and moths can get into them outside or even in the brooder room and I plan to have meal worms going all year around. Here is 3 of my 4 bins and I am about to add another since they are out growing 2 of these.

9332_meal_worm_colonies_9-11.jpg

I started my meal worm farm for less than $50. That was meal worms, plastic tubs and wheat bran mixed with oats. I didn't care for the oats so just went with wheat bran since then. The frass (bug poop) also is a great fertilizer but I doubt I will change these out but twice a year. They do not have any odor unless you leave fruit to go bad in them.

I was hoping to make the Guinea keets love me but so far they are sort of afraid of them while the chicks adore me.
bow.gif
I like that part. My hand is a great thing and not scary now since I feed them out of my hand but I will also put them on the brooder floor or in the feed dish. The keets still don't get it even with the chicks showing them how yummy they are. I think the keets just don't want to be tamed!
smack.gif
But I keep trying.

Yes, my house is a lot like a barn but I have no regrets. I grew up in a very clean house with a maid to keep it all nice but that is not me. DH doesn't care and I am certainly not going to pick up after him so our house is more like a barn. Poor DD has tried to adjust!

Quote:
Now that is a recipe I need. My neighbors have tons of kudzu. I have never had it on my property but I am across the street. Theirs crawls up from their creek almost to their back door and they fight it every year.

I didn't smell the kudzu this year. I usually can drive down the road and it is heavy in the air but this year I never got the first whiff of it. I love the way it smells, almost as much as honeysuckle. I have never seen a kudzu perfume either. I have many bottles of different brands of honeysuckle. Although Cinnabar has always been my favorite perfume, I love the flower scents.

Yes, I know! All you smell on me is chicken poo but I clean up nice for Sunday services when I get to go.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Definitely know where Paris Mtn State Park is. I grew up near Paris Elementary (back when it was the old brick school before they tore it down to build the new one) in the Piedmont Park area. Baptized and raised in the Piedmont Park United Methodist Church. We used to ride our horses through the Park every Sunday afternoon for many years.

We are about 20 miles from there now.

Back
Top Bottom