South Carolina

Amy,
I would suggest putting the tubs on 4 one inch 2x4 support blocks and spray the supports with bug spray. The ants will not climb the supports with the spray on them. They will have no other access to the tubs.
clap.gif

Last edited:
Ants I do not worry about. It is mice and moths.
Though moths are about to be non existent with the weather. Mice, raccoons and possums also love mealies but only mice could get to mine here since the LGD takes care of bigger critters. However, it is getting colder and mealies won't do well outside and my brooder room still would not be warm enough for the mealies without a heat lamp. I am trying to cut back on that instead of have more so the bins can stay in the house. I have plenty of room for them in the den.
However, I believe I will move some bins into the living room and put in front of the south windows this winter as an experiment to see if they do better than the bins of meal worms left in the den which is on the north side of the house.

I must say though that when I did have ants this past summer get into one of my bins (I have no idea why only that particular one) I simple put the tub inside another bigger tub and added water. The ants could not get to them then either and since it was inside my house the water did not evaporate. I try to stay away from man made chemicals like bug spray. It was only a week and the ants never came back so I no longer had to use the "moat" method.

Quote:
Selling 4 roos is certainly something to brag about! Heck, I'd be bragging if I could even GIVE 4 roos away.
lol.png

Me too! That's awesome to actually sell them!

Wow I am SO impressed~ 4!!
celebrate.gif
They must have been some pretty boys
lau.gif

What a day so far! I was given a peachick(pc) yesterday that was just a few days old. I had to make a pretty good drive to get it but that was ok. This morning when I went to look at it, its eyes were swollen and it was not real active. I had put it with 2 giunea keets my DH had picked up in the yard the day before--in my panic to figure out what to do I went back in to check on the pc and it had flown out of its enclosure into the other half of the hutch where I had it.
I figured that if it could fly it must not be that bad...yet. Upon closer inspection I decided the guinea keets I had it with were probably pecking at his eyes--big bummer! Out went the keets in went 2, week old chicks(actually I had them divided but pc kept flying in with chicks so they are now all together). Also, in went a mushed up boiled egg yolk--boy, does he(peachick) love egg yolk! After eating some egg yolk and drinking some water he stretched out to sleep. I just went out to check him again and he is eating and drinking again. He is about the same size as the chicks and they(cochins) seem pretty mellow with him(so far). My fingers are crossed for this little guy! The other two pcs I hatched out several weeks ago are still doing good and I had kept them for over a week with keets and they never bothered the pcs eyes. Hopefully this new one's eyelids are not damaged and he recovers ok.
roll.png

The lesson we have to learn....
barnie.gif

Everyone else is doing good--Polish are eating up a storm trying to put on some weight! My white silkies are crowing up a storm--8 out of 9. All the birds are enjoying this cool weather and so am I!!!
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Sheesh! I am worn out! DH and I are heading to Edisto tonight and I've been trying to get everything ready since I got off work at noon. I got the car cleaned, all the chickens fed and watered, the bantams cage cleaned out, the horse/donkey's water trough emptied/cleaned/refilled, the horse/donkeys fed and all our stuff packed. It doesn't look like much when I write it down, but it sure took forever! Especially being that I wanted to be on the road 20 min ago....but it's kinda hard to get DH moving much after working all day. Well..hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! My cousin is getting married in Charleston tomorrow night..then we'll be coming back home Sunday morning. I'm sure I'll have a lot to catch up on when we get back!

Last edited:
Quote:
You did have quite a day! Glad you got another baby and I hope it does as well as the others. I am going to be processing the roosters tomorrow. That is the plan anyway. Going to try and take pictures to put on the chicken blog. Already, my 14 year old son is trying to get out of helping, but I told him if he don't help clean them he don't get to eat them either- and I have planned to have chicken every night next week
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
You did have quite a day! Glad you got another baby and I hope it does as well as the others. I am going to be processing the roosters tomorrow. That is the plan anyway. Going to try and take pictures to put on the chicken blog. Already, my 14 year old son is trying to get out of helping, but I told him if he don't help clean them he don't get to them either- and I have planned to have chicken every night next week
big_smile.png

ohh yes! Do post pictures
smile.png

Lauren there are some awesome videos on youtube. It's my first time doing it, I figure how bad can I mess it up? Actually, I'm probably more worried about the "mess" part. Although I doubt any neighbors will complain if they see feathers blowing across their yards, my dogs will be all over them in a heartbeat. Maybe that is what I should focus on.. taking pictures of the dogs trying to spit out feathers....

Back
Top Bottom