South Carolina

Quote:
hugs.gif
So sorry to hear that. Sometimes I am not sure if it is better to know what happened or not.

I did manage to get 2 of the roosters done today. It was challenging, it was funny, and I learned a lot of " How Not to process Chickens"
lau.gif
gig.gif
:lau
Though I need to cull the other roosters too, I think I'll wait until they get a bit more meat on them. Since I was alone for the most part, I didn't take pictures while I was doing it. I did however get some pictures afterwards and wrote all about it on my chicken blog. If you like, you can read about it here: http://cochincoopnews.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-first-time-processing-chickens-and.html

Had an AWSOME time at the 4H auction ....bought 15 birds....brought 10 home!! Sorry Pink,I realized that in my wish to win mom some of those " EE/ Americanas " I was bidding against you...I lost the first batch I wanted due to my cutoff number and just kept trying on the others! I am glad I got them for her though! She then turned around and bought a Roo! LOL...chicken math. I did win the pretty one that I wanted too though!! I will post pics tonight!

Quote:
Nice writing on your blog. I have not yet tried plucking. I just skinned it with the feathers on. No water involved (except for washing at end). How long did it take?

Last edited:
Quote:
Thankyou! As for time- rough estimates of each step- Killing and giving the blood a chance to pool 5-10 minutes, scalding- 60 seconds tops, plucking- about 5 minutes, gutting- about 5 minutes because it was my first time, and cutting up the chicken- less than 5. So total for each chicken start to finish- about 15 minutes. Next time should go much quicker. Of course if I had a chicken plucker... But I can't justify buying one for the few birds I will be doing each year.

Quote:
Thankyou! As for time- rough estimates of each step- Killing and giving the blood a chance to pool 5-10 minutes, scalding- 60 seconds tops, plucking- about 5 minutes, gutting- about 5 minutes because it was my first time, and cutting up the chicken- less than 5. So total for each chicken start to finish- about 15 minutes. Next time should go much quicker. Of course if I had a chicken plucker... But I can't justify buying one for the few birds I will be doing each year.

Wow. Fifteen minutes each bird. I am definitely doing something wrong! It takes me about three hours to do two roosters, and by then I have a horrible back ache. I guess I'll read those how to guides again.

Quote:
So sorry to hear that! I am always sad when I lose one. It is usually a girl, one that can earn her keep and not one of the many roos that are all around and underfoot.

We were supposed to take out roos today but naturally DH had other plans. He wanted to get the last of the fresh peaches and some fresh raw milk from Mabry Dairy to make ice cream tomorrow after church. And naturally we took eggs to the church and they always insist on giving us a free meal in return on the second Saturday so DH is now napping it off. I am headed outside to feed and water, collect eggs and talk to my sweeties.

Quote:

Wow. Fifteen minutes each bird. I am definitely doing something wrong! It takes me about three hours to do two roosters, and by then I have a horrible back ache. I guess I'll read those how to guides again.

I watched a bunch of videos on Youtube
smile.png
But really, it's the setting up part that seems to take forever for me. Once you get going though, it moves pretty fast.

chickens CHICKENS chickens... Having a great day, but I feel that my SWL is on the bottom of the pecking ordering...Bless Her. She's so sweet. and One of my BO girls(that's my little girlfriend) (this chicken goes everywhere I go) is also on the bottom they both are wanting to live in the house and not even with the other Chickens ohhhh
love.gif
. Lucy my EE is a dog runner. I think she thinks she's a dog. Once again she's Krazy. OH and THE ROOSTER..Bleu aka S.O.B charged the LGD Piper(who knows not to hurt the chickens) Backed down and let S.O.B take charge....What to do...???... It's like a Young and the Restless in the backyard...now only if I had a Ms Chancellor to get the order back in order

OH had a Hawk Drive By...well it was one of those small hawk types maybe a sparrow hawk or some bird like it...about the size of a large pigeon.?. it was after a dove. But could take a chick...Well I have to give Bleu some credit...He was ON IT!!!!! ran to the fence and yelled and yelled and yelled and Holled alittle more....Then went to each chicken to check on them...So I'm glad I have him...but wish he wasn't such an a$$. Maybe he'll mellow...So that's the News(les nessman quote
gig.gif
some will get this) on the backyard drama...and the chicks are getting big and still momma BO is taking care of them in the BigCoop where everybody lives...thank goodness cause it's easier to take care of one coop instead of 2...Yes I know some of you HAVE alot more coops...but my job is killing me and time with my chickens is precious and I hate to spend it cleaning and watering and feeding...So right now it's super quick then I get to play with my girls...and 1 a$$ who hates me!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom