South Carolina

Your bleu sounds like my Toffee. He is quite an arse, but gosh I love that rooster! He's the one that was protecting the flock from my dogs while free ranging my yard. And he would attack my dogs up until last week when the dogs nearly killed him. I am actually going to start a story about toffee in the story section because he does the craziest things all the dang time.

But speaking of toffee I have him in the coop now for the first time. He was a jerk at first learning to live with the others but now he is doing great and loves it!

Well, it's been a tough week and I'm tired. Just thought I'd give you all an quick update, Both sons and husband are sick...and I'm not feeling great but I can't get sick. My blue polish eggs were due to hatch today, my first hatch in my new incubator. Well I bought 12 eggs, they were shipped. At first candling I lost 6 eggs - 3 clear and 3 with dead rings. Then I lost another egg last week that stopped developing. So I had 5 go in the hatcher and 1 hatched a day early, another hatched today. I have 3 eggs that haven't pipped and I don't see any movement in them. I will leave them to make sure but don't hold out much hope. Now here's the kicker, these were supposed to be blue but they both look just like my black polish to me (and I know blue doesn't breed true but still....). Well I was supposed to have a customer come today to collect 8 - 10 birds and haven't heard from him. I hate when that happens. We've had about 6 huge hawks circling my chicken yards this week. Yesterday my son went out and shot the rifle just to scare them away. He didn't aim at the birds. They were intent on getting my babies and I just wanted them to leave. All of the poor chickens were hiding and the roosters were crowing and guineas were screeching. The hawks just kept circling and diving. On a good note, I just moved about 35 guinea eggs down into the hatcher and about half of them have already pipped! These are my eggs, not shipped so it will be a true test of how good this incubator (and the operator) are doing. AND I finally got my bird room cleaned. It won't last a day, there'll be seed on the floor and dust already settling tomorrow but tonight I feel good about it. Hope you are all having a good weekend.

Let everyone take a moment, be you Christian, Jew, Muslem, or anything else. Remember our fallen brothers and sisters of the tragedy that occurred ten years ago, today. Remember that Hate and Love cannot occupy your heart at the same time. It was hatred that motivated those terrorists to murder thousands of innocent people. Never forget what happened, but do not let hatred spoil the Love inside yourself. Spend time with your friends and family and celebrate the life you have together.

Moonchild,
maybe it would help to inspire some respect if you pushed Bleu to the ground and held him down for a bit. I have done that with a few pains. It did not work on my Mottled Cochin roo though and after 2 years of never knowing if he would flog my ankles I finally realized how to take care of his little problem.
One day when he was still in the little tractor with his few girls I opened it up to find him lying on his back. He had either tried to dust bathe and rolled over enough he could not get back up or had fell off the low roost and landed that way. Anyhow, I thought at first he would jump up but as I filled the feeder and checked the water he just laid there and watched. I then realized he could not turn his wide load over!
I flipped him back up and he was none worse for wear.
So then I move him up to a bigger tractor with even more girls and he became a pain again. So I grabbed his fluffy butt up and flipped him on his back and laid him on the ground where he played the kids tune of "Wheels on the Bus" with his cute tootsies! Once I was through with my chores in that pen I rolled him back over. The next time he rushed me I flipped him over on his back and standing above him yelled him at "Bad bird! Never rush your mommy again! Are you hearing me?!" over and over for a few minutes. And for those of you who have never heard me yell, I got enough lungs for that and it is a fierce sound. Just ask DH and DD.
wink.png

It has been 3 months without a Rascal attack now.
big_smile.png

Carrying a roo around upside down by his legs has never worked with any of my mean roos. And I have had plenty over the years. They usually always wind up in the freezer, except for Rascal. I plan to try the laying on the back, even if having to hold them down that way, and screaming at them. I am wondering if this will work on other roos.

However, I can't see the Yancy man doing that with his birds. Much too kind and gentle.
smile.png
I feel the same about Billy. I can't see him having to be overly stern with any of his birds. Way too sweet for that.
Gosh, now I feel like a mean old witch.
roll.png

Joy!
I am so glad you are loving your new 'bator. Shipped eggs can be difficult.
I have 6 in the bator now that I was just sure would not do anything since this lady has sent me eggs before and I got nothing. Then I talked with others on here and they have had trouble with them, too so imagine my surprise when I candled them last night and all 6 were developing. I want to say I did not pay for these, they are swap products.

I am sure your Guinea eggs will do great! You will have lots of pretty Guineas running the farm soon. I hope you get more lavs from your eggs, too!
How many and what colors did you get from RedBug? I think I missed that post if you did say.

I hate to hear about the family sick again. You all must come in contact with someone carrying some nasty germs. This is a bad time of year to be sick when you want to enjoy all this nice weather.

Good going on cleaning the bird room. I wish I felt like cleaning anything inside my house.
roll.png
DD does some but not as much as I would really like to have done, like all those cobwebs above my kitchen cabinets. Those knick knacks collect a lot of dust. Which reminds me, time to change the AC filters again.

Let us know how it goes on the hatch, Joy!

Quote:
Yes, I remember. I hold no grudge against them but I feel we need to be alert to something happening again. I forgive those who have trespassed against us but I also hold my spear ready to defend our great country and our families.
My heart and prayers go out to the families that lost a loved one on that day 10 years ago. For what was and what could have been had this not ever happened.
hit.gif

GOT AN EGG!!!!!!! From my 4H girl thought,not my Big Red...
sad.png
...I showed it to her and had a serious egg talk again!lol

On a serious note...today is an awful anniversary,I know none of us will ever forget,I hope we all take time to say a prayer for all that was affected( which I dont know anyone who wasnt)...

Oops...forgot to tell yall about my day of chicken math! I had 10 chickens but none laid so really I had none...right...well yesterday I bought 15 birds....6 americana/EE,4 RIR,2BO,2 comets,and a barred Rock....gave 3 EE and comets to mom...1 egg today so I now have 1 chicken ! LOL

Quote:
I'm glad you got them for her too.. they were a nice lot.. and you got that other lot of the mix that you wanted.. you'd think yesterday was your birthday.. hahah oh it was.. hahahh.. you'll have to post pics.. sorry we had to leave so soon.. i thought that it was going to end earlier but I think where they got started late it set everything behind.. we had to race back home to Hickory tavern and get ready for a wedding at 1:30 back at lake greenwood st park.. least to say I did not want to smell of chicken and beef cattle. hahah.. I put my makeup on in the car.. but we got there on time and had a great time with old friends.

what kind of rooster did she buy? I cant remember if your mom has a good EE rooster?
yippiechickie.gif
after I get these fattened up and healthy that I got at the thing. Ill get one to her if she wants one of them.. they're gonna be pretty if i ever get some meat on their bones.. they're eating good but no weight yet? dont know why? I need to re worm them again.. maybe they were just so wormy its gonna take the more powerful stuff. at least they are completely mite free. yeah...

glad you had a fun birthday... you should have a great year now too.
ya.gif

say hi to all

I've got to go.. I'm sure all my kids are mad at me I haven't been out to the coop yet this am.. taking it slow... trying to get caffeine jump start hahah
caf.gif

)O(
Pink

Samantha congrats on your first Egg..
woot.gif

sorry it wasn't from one of your original girls but hopefully the Egg talk you had with the complete with fresh egg will spark some desire in the girls. hahah...
thumbsup.gif

)O(
Pink

Back
Top Bottom