South Carolina

Same here - had a yard sale from 9 to 1 yesterday (up at 5:30 to set it all up before 8:15 when people showed up). Sat, sweltering, dripping sweat under the pool umbrella we'd dragged over to the driveway. Humid since daybreak - as if we live in an aquarium here. At 1 we began to pack it in - some back into the house - along with the hangers, boxes, unsold clothing and books - some of it to the Salvation Army a couple miles from here. And JUST as I brought the last of it in the house a HUGE downpour began. Perfect timing. The sun came out an hour or so later. I'm all for the occasional thundershower to cool things off and stave off a drought (and keep me from having to water a single plant since at least April this year). The humidity, though, I could do with a little less of that - but I grew up in SC so it's part of the deal, I guess.

When the downpour hit here, my little chickens decided to huddle up under the front porch. So I had to go out and round them up into the coop. IN THE RAIN ! I've got to say at least chickens keep things interesting.
big_smile.png

Mine seem to like to hang out in the rain for some reason. Sometimes, maybe it is the thunder and lightning that scares them inside to the coop, but not very often. Since we have the coop out in the "back 40"..and we are diagonally on the "front 40" out by the road..... we don't go back there or can see them from the house. I do go to the pen and chicken tractor several times a day though, to check on food and water. And see if any dogs or foxes are checking them out. Other than that...too humid!!
I ran out of wood ash too, for them to dust bathe in.

I had some sand in a box at one point. But it got wet from all the rain. They seem to like fire ant hills! They like under the porches because it's cooler and mostly dry.

My little rooster is growing up. I took the flock some scraps, and he called the girls over instead of gobbling it down. I don't think he got a bite of it. I have seen posts about Roosters that do that but I thought - never my little Rascal Roo-Pig!

My little rooster is growing up.  I took the flock some scraps, and he called the girls over instead of gobbling it down.  I don't think he got a bite of it.  I have seen posts about Roosters that do that but I thought - never my little Rascal Roo-Pig!

It's always so neat to watch them start doing that. Especially in the beginning when they seem upraised that the girls show up! :lau

I have several roos. 3 in the original group, from 2012. Then, my broody OEGB hatched 7 back in April. It looks like I only have 2 pullets out of 7 chicks. Then, a new hatch, July 1, of 6 chicks. Looks so far like only 2 might be pullets. So....some of those extra roos will end up in the freezer after we sort them all out. Gee...that makes 12 roos out of 21 birds so far. >>sigh<<
Way too many roosters for such a small flock.

Back
Top Bottom