Southern 101---Explanation of all things Southern

Quote:
Oh yum! I love cheese grits with either sausage or bacon crumbled on top. My daughter and I both think this is the best thing for a Saturday morning breakfast. Its even good to dip the biscuit in the grits sometimes. I wash mine down with either sweet tea or a Dr. Pepper. No coffee for me. I love the smell of coffee but do not like the taste.

I'm the rare southerner who drinks unsweetened tea- have to remember to ask when eating out! Dad was from south Florida, Mom from Waynesboro, Virginia. I can't even figure out how to type the way she said house, out and mouse! (it all rhymed with most) And there was the iggle, our national bird, and those dogs that are so popular, the biggles.
lau.gif

I've moved around a lot, so I have a real undefined way of speaking- it depends upon who I'm talking to. People always look at me funny when I open my mouth!

Last edited:
I never liked grits or red eye gravy. Blech.

I still forget sometimes and order sweet tea. The blank stare from the wait staff usually saps me back to reality.

I ordered a sweet potato once at Outback, and they politely informed me that it's only "our southern locations" that serve baked sweet potatoes.

And don't forget to always have on clean drawers, cause you never know when you might get in an accident.
Oh, and I love my grits and red eye gravy too.
There is also the New Years tradition of eating blackeye peas and turnip greens for health and wealth. I am usually the only who will eat them. DH complains that it's not heathy for him when I eat them.
gig.gif
hide.gif
wink.png

Quote:
I'm another Southerner who loves unsweetened tea! I don't put any sugar at all in it, I love it just plain.
lau.gif

I was born in Kentucky, lived in Pennsylvania for most of my growin' up and moved to Virginia after getting married. DH was born and raised in PA, and he took the job in VA because he knew I wanted to live down South again.
smile.png
No one can place my accent either
lol.png

I love unsweetened tea too. I used to drink it sweet all the time I was growin up, but when I was expecting my second child I could not have any sugar. Now sweet tea gags me.
sickbyc.gif
Tea is my big weakness, I never go anywhere without it, it is just about the only thing I drink!

Quote:
Well that makes sense, my grandfather was never what you would call "politically correct". He had plenty of sayings that couldn't be repeated in mixed company - or any company for that matter!!

I always thought (DONT LAUGH!!) that it had to do with the stripe looking like a pole

Polecat: A chiefly nocturnal European carnivorous mammel of the weasel family that ejects a malodorous fluid to mark its territory and ward off enemies. Also called fitch.
I am guessing the term was brought with our ancestors of European decent.

Ok, So I'm confused..is a polecat an animal or a slang name? My grandpa never specified but I thought he was referring to a skunk when he used the term. However, he as well as my grandmother were first generation Americans from immigrant parents who came over from the former Yugoslavia - Croatia to be exact.

Weeel, naw, I have no ider wut ya'll are talkin bout, accents?! Lol The best things to look forward to in the spring and summer are fried green maters, huntin polk weed and morals!! And, yes, I keep a jar of bacon grease at hand as we eat tons of greens, collard, turnip, kale, whatever we can get our hands on at the time. Anyone grow nastersiums to make salads? And wilted lettuce is the BEST! Have to have home grown leaf lettuce though. Gotta go wrench my har in the zinc now I reckon. Lol AND buttermilk goes down well with anything! My kids play in the crik all the time.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom