Southern CA Swap meet-up / Funday!

Quote:
. . . at least till you sift the heck out of it and remove all those bigger pieces in the process
wink.png
. Probably making the play sand the same price in the long run . . . ?
lol.png
Mine are cruising through a mix that includes sand from the municipal sandbags I picked up from the FD during the recent rains (after I used them to keep our garage from flooding).

Quote:
. . . at least till you sift the heck out of it and remove all those bigger pieces in the process
wink.png
. Probably making the play sand the same price in the long run . . . ?
lol.png
Mine are cruising through a mix that includes sand from the municipal sandbags I picked up from the FD during the recent rains (after I used them to keep our garage from flooding).

YUP, I found that out with the first bag I purchased...
he.gif
too much got tossed into the run as waste. Play sand is much cheeper in the long run...live and learn....municipal sandbags = free sand, hmmm, thats a good deal for sure...
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Cant you just use regular sand??

Yes you can use the cheaper stuff, no problem... But if you are a fanatic like Joey & myself ya just gotta have the "GOOD STUFF"......
wee.gif
The more expensive sand is finer and will sift thru a metal mesh strainer completely. With the cheeper there are alot more larger pieces of sand......

If I used sand in my Silkie coops will it get their fur all messed up? lol I said fur! But their feathers are like fur! lol
lau.gif
gig.gif
And can I just use a kitty scooper (for the litter box) To strain it.

Quote:
Yes you can use the cheaper stuff, no problem... But if you are a fanatic like Joey & myself ya just gotta have the "GOOD STUFF"......
wee.gif
The more expensive sand is finer and will sift thru a metal mesh strainer completely. With the cheeper there are alot more larger pieces of sand......

If I used sand in my Silkie coops will it get their fur all messed up? lol I said fur! But their feathers are like fur! lol
lau.gif
gig.gif

For LF a kitty litter scoop should be just fine, but when you have all these small birdies, too many poops fall thru the scooper.

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif

For LF a kitty litter scoop should be just fine, but when you have all these small birdies, too many poops fall thru the scooper.

I'll get a thinner scooper then. Do they dust bathe in it too? Using sand is a really GOOD! idea.

When is the next chicken meet up?

Quote:
What a wonderful Meet Up! Thank you to all who had a part in putting this together.... especially Froggie
clap.gif
woohoo!

So great to meet you all. Sorry we missed so much of the action (we were there early, had to leave, but came back hours later), but we're SO HAPPY with our new little additions to the flock.
jumpy.gif

Thanks to Alvin for 2 of the most precious frizzles on earth!
love.gif

Thanks to Robin for 4 adorable FBCMs - gonna be fun to watch them grow up.
I'm forever grateful to all of you for the limitless information and enthusiasm, and I hope I don't wear you out with my questions.

Sooooo.....

When's the next meet???
ya.gif

I am really liking the play sand idea, I do have a question though.... When I raised reptiles, we used a sand substrate, and some of the lizards would eat sand unintentionally as they were chasing their bugs, or eating veggies that strayed off their dishes, or just plain sand licking..LOL . We did have issues with them getting impacted from the sand, and that caused serious issues. Is this a risk with chickens? Can their crops get impacted with sand if they eat too much?

Quote:
yeah, i thought about the same thing... i breed leopard geckos and i can't use sand... snakes and other stuff, same deal... sand is no bueno... but for chickens... i dunno... like them living in grit i guess... nothing bad imo...

Back
Top Bottom