Quote:
perchie- You STILL have no chickens????
rant.gif
You MUST come to the meet on the 21st so we can fix this problem,
fl.gif
no chickens- not good!
D.gif
lau.gif

LOL.... I am still building my breed house. Unfortunately it required that I take apart the one I already had for a "rearrangement" of components. I am getting my first guinea Keets tomorrow. Yay. My first ten to be added to my next 30 coming in the mail from PeepsCA soon as she gets enough to set then get them hatched. Yes I have had guineas before.... LOL. And the only way I can brood them is at my moms house here in Santee in the Burbs.
gig.gif
So my limit will be reached very very soon. Long boring story....
lau.gif
That part of the poultry house will be finished in time to function as a grow-out pen.

So anyone have true Amauracanas coming? Or Welsummers? How about Sumatras? I am not in a position to take anything home yet but would love to connect with someone I can get chicks from later. These breeds i want good quality to the standards but not necessarily show quality. When I get the Chicken House done.

And of course I want some bantams just don't know which kind yet. What ever I get I will be happy with culls because I wont be breeding for show just for my own personal edification. Then of course eventually I will need some broodies. All in Good time.... I am a very patient person. Once I have a safe comfortable place to put them though It will be hard to hold me back. My Poultry house will be 24 x 24 and I have eighteen acres to "play" with. Hee hee.
lau.gif

Would you like a Welsummer Roo(s)?

Quote:
LOL.... I am still building my breed house. Unfortunately it required that I take apart the one I already had for a "rearrangement" of components. I am getting my first guinea Keets tomorrow. Yay. My first ten to be added to my next 30 coming in the mail from PeepsCA soon as she gets enough to set then get them hatched. Yes I have had guineas before.... LOL. And the only way I can brood them is at my moms house here in Santee in the Burbs.
gig.gif
So my limit will be reached very very soon. Long boring story....
lau.gif
That part of the poultry house will be finished in time to function as a grow-out pen.

So anyone have true Amauracanas coming? Or Welsummers? How about Sumatras? I am not in a position to take anything home yet but would love to connect with someone I can get chicks from later. These breeds i want good quality to the standards but not necessarily show quality. When I get the Chicken House done.

And of course I want some bantams just don't know which kind yet. What ever I get I will be happy with culls because I wont be breeding for show just for my own personal edification. Then of course eventually I will need some broodies. All in Good time.... I am a very patient person. Once I have a safe comfortable place to put them though It will be hard to hold me back. My Poultry house will be 24 x 24 and I have eighteen acres to "play" with. Hee hee.
lau.gif

Would you like a Welsummer Roo(s)?

I would love to but I cant.... it would be fair to the roo. There is no one up there to keep him company besides, my coop isn't ready for chickens or even guineas yet. That whole long boring story.... I have 300 linear feet of goat fence to put up and a goat house to build before I can rearrange my kennel panels to rebuild the coop. The goats tend to ""help"" when you are building stuff so I have to get them moved to the horse corral first. Much better space allotment for them and company for Katee. Then I am taking all the kennel panels and rebuilding the coop..,... 24 x 24 with seven partitions. By the time the keets are ready to live in a grow out pen I should be ready with a coop that is partially finished. Were looking at at least six to eight weeks.

So what time is this even at? Should i even bring my silkie cause i dont have a cage or anything, i just have a small dog carrier thing.

OMG, my heart is pounding! My dd, who was on chicken watch, just came in SCREAMING!!

SNAKE IS TRYING TO GET OUR CHICKENS!!!!!

I go tearing into the backyard, as fast as I can to see a 3' king snake creeping up the slope away from my chick pen. I grab a piece of wood, and climb up after it. Chicks are okay, and a little frightened, Seramas are okay, and totally oblivious, but the snake is heading towards my big hens, which, 6 against 1, would probably do some damage to the snake..... and even though I'm totally intimidated by this snake, I know its a "good guy", and don't want to see it get killed by my hens.

Where is my DH when I need him?? LOL.

So I'm creeping up on this snake, envisioning episodes of "Crocodile Hunter" where Steve Irwin makes catching snakes look SOOOO easy, and I'm all thumbs. Every dashed attempt at grabbing the snake ends up in fistfuls of grass. The snake coils, starts shaking its tail at me, I'm totally freaking out, and I grab my piece of wood to hold the head down while I grab the tail. So now I have a dangling, VERY P-O'd snake, and I need to get a hold of its head as I make my way down the slope, to take him back out to the field. So after several attempts at grabbing his head, I finally get it, but not close enough to the head, and he whips around and bites me in the finger, but I kept my grip, and got his head, and made my way down the slope to the front yard, snapped a few "heroic" pics to share with DH, to see how brave I was, and I let the guy go in the field next door. Hopefully I scared him as much as he scared me!!

Yikes! Knock on wood, all I've found near me are kingsnakes, and gopher snakes. Have any of you ever had snake problems with your chickens?

Edit: Now that I've calmed down a bit, next time I'll use an Australian accent when I try to catch snakes. That was probably my problem all along. It should go much smoother if I remember..
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom