Southern CA Swap meet-up / Funday!

Quote:
i don't know, but the other night as i was walking into my room, i found a huge male madagascar hisser on my clothes next to the roach box... i don't know how he got out, but i hope he's not the only one... i have about.... 400 hissers right now... i also have a couple hundred dubia roaches... i farm them for my fancy leopard geckos...

yes, i'm an animal hoarder...

OHMYGAWD......I would have just died if one of those nasties were on my bed...would have had to burn the bed, sell the house and move into a padded room AFTER the paramedics came for me cuz I FREAKED OUT!
barnie.gif
If ya haven't figured it out they sort of gross me out Gumbii
hide.gif
I have never even heard of nubia roaches?? Hissers I know about from Fear Factor fame....
tongue.png

BUT you simply MUST post pictures of these critters for all of us to see---please?
pop.gif

They are good chicken food too. Some think better than meal worms
http://blapticadubiaroaches.com/

Quote:
i don't know, but the other night as i was walking into my room, i found a huge male madagascar hisser on my clothes next to the roach box... i don't know how he got out, but i hope he's not the only one... i have about.... 400 hissers right now... i also have a couple hundred dubia roaches... i farm them for my fancy leopard geckos...

yes, i'm an animal hoarder...

OHMYGAWD......I would have just died if one of those nasties were on my bed...would have had to burn the bed, sell the house and move into a padded room AFTER the paramedics came for me cuz I FREAKED OUT!
barnie.gif
hide.gif
I have never even heard of nubia roaches?? Hissers I know about from Fear Factor fame....
tongue.png

BUT you simply MUST post pictures of these critters for all of us to see---please?
pop.gif

okay... but...

***WARNING***

***pictures of huge roaches below***

madagascar hissers... i think that's a male... picture was taken when i first got them...
Photo0285.jpg

Photo0286.jpg

Photo0288.jpg

blaptica dubia... this is also when i first got them... these guys don't climb on walls... and don't get as big... the males get wings, females don't... very neat creatures...
Photo0271.jpg

Photo0270.jpg

COOL, i used to love feeding them to my monitor lizards!! the beardies would get them stuck and it was grose but the bigger lizards would just crunch them up... I went to rainbow mealworms before the so cal serama show and they had thousands of the big madagascar hissing roaches. To cool. I brought them home as pets when i was a kid, Hid them in my B rood behind the door, in a cage until my mom went to use My b rood and SCREAMED her head offwhen she looked up on the counter now that the door was closed to see some HUGe roaches looking at her while she was on the pot!! OMG i am LMAO right now, OH Mam did i get in big troubble... I put rattle snakes in a cage in there about 6 months laiter when i tought she had cooled off. That was another big NO i guess.. I used to work for chris estep at reptile haven now toucan jungle,,, I had all kinds of great reptile and strange pets. I frear my Bf out every time I see a snake in the road, i have to go check it out and move it froom harms way and he stands behind me and will scream like a total sissy girl if i touch it!!! Oh the joy...

Quote:
barnie.gif
hide.gif
tongue.png

pop.gif

okay... but...

***WARNING***

***pictures of huge roaches below***

madagascar hissers... i think that's a male... picture was taken when i first got them...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/gumbii/Photo0285.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/gumbii/Photo0286.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/gumbii/Photo0288.jpg

blaptica dubia... this is also when i first got them... these guys don't climb on walls... and don't get as big... the males get wings, females don't... very neat creatures...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/gumbii/Photo0271.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/gumbii/Photo0270.jpg

Well Gumbii it just confirms what we thought all along.........OH look! theres a chicken!
hide.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
clap.gif

When my son was in sixth grade his teacher brought hissing roaches into the class and even on parents night he had them in a container and showed the parents. He would take them out if you wanted to hold them. Frankly I hate roaches but I loath flies even better. Nasty pests who live on s..t and then fly all over your hair and face.
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

Quote:
When my son was about four was sitting in the passenger seat of the car when hes said plaintively.... "Moommmm! This fly is licking me...." I had to laugh but i believe flies spread more germs than even the common cockroach.

Quote:
LOL... i was the same... there's a river bed behind my house... after the rainy season, we would get these little frogs come and hop around in our yard... i would get them and all of my friends would get in trouble because they couldn't take them home... my parents rocked... growing up, i had all kinds of pets...snakes, lizards, frogs, insects, dogs, chickens, and fish... my mom got me my first iguana when i was 12 or so... my dad then got me some pythons... i don't think i have ever gone without a pet of some sort...

btw, i used to feed the frogs from outside to my garter snakes... LOL... i stared with 3 garter snakes, and in a year had like 40 of them... dudes are like the rabbits of the snake world...

Quote:
i am discovered... yes, i was a very very weird child...

Quote:
my 5th grade teacher gave me a tarantula as a gift... she had a bunch of animals in her class... even bald rats... i think parents are lucky i'm not a school teacher... LOL... probably come home with pullets and cockerels... and you're so right about the fly's... i hate finding dead animals on the side of the trails when i go ride... i won't stop for a long time because all those flys are chewing on rotting meat then come and jump on me... no thanks...

perchie.girl :

Quote:
When my son was about four was sitting in the passenger seat of the car when hes said plaintively.... "Moommmm! This fly is licking me...." I had to laugh but i believe flies spread more germs than even the common cockroach.

LOL... gross...

and my roaches are clean... they smell great... like fruits and veggies... and fish food... they love fish food...​

You guys are funny!!! All I was allowed growing up, were dogs and cats. When DH and I got our first apartment, it was a two bedroom. We started with fish, I really love fancy goldfish... yeah, its probably a lame thing to like, but I just love their fat little round bodies, and long waving tails. Well, one aquarium turned into two, when our neighbor gave us a piranha. He was moving to NY, and couldn't take it. We would feed it raw chicken and catfish pieces. He lived for about 7 years with us, then died at the age of 11 or so.

But along the way we discovered Reptile Haven, and became their best customer! We did have a couple snakes (which I was okay with when they were tiny), but we were more into lizards-monitors, tegus, beardeds, frilleds,chameleons, uromastyx, skinks, all kinds of weird stuff!! Our whole second bedroom soon became wall to wall enclosures. Our apt. manager actually thought it was cool!!Probably 'cause we paid our rent on time every month, didn't gripe about stuff, so she didn't bother us.

Then along came parenthood. We sold pretty much everything, kept the goldfish, a boa, and a rhinoceros iguana. The boa died about two years after my DD was born, chronic respiratory issues. We still keep goldfish, and the doggone iguana lives in the garage. He's very aggressive, but totally cool to look at behind the plexiglass. I keep telling DH to rehome him, its kind of a sad life, since he's not handleable unless you're wearing Kevlar, but I don't know of any iguana sanctuaries or people that want mean lizards, so he stays, and we feed and care for him anyways.

We keep talking about whether to dump the fish, and get a couple reptiles, but I still like my silly goldfish.
idunno.gif
And I don't miss the sound of crickets in the house, or walking across me while I sleep ((((shudder))))).

Now, its cats, dogs, fish, iguana, and chickens!!! Still hoarding after all these years!

Quote:
Ya STILL have a zoo going there sunny! Fancy goldfish really are cool. I had them when I was a tadpole and I would make them jump out of the water for pieces of meat. I would also pet them...my Mom decided it was time for a dog......hee hee

Back
Top Bottom