Southern California Poultry Processors?

MickeyChicken

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
Does anyone know of any "reputable" poultry processors in the Los Angeles County/Orange County area of Southern California? While I will be raising some meat birds, I think I might be pushing my zoning luck by doing the processing in the back yard.

I have asked around at the OC Fair and some of the local 4-H clubs, but most of their suggestions seem to come with a grimace and the explanation that the place they are suggesting is somehwat questionable - definitely NOT where I'd like my family's food to come from!

Any suggestions would be welcome!

I'm in So Cal, too. I do my processing in my garage so that no one will see. Actually, it works out really well because I have the sink for wash up, the concrete floor is easy to mop up and sanitize with 10% bleach solution, and I don't have to worry about the dogs, chickens or people bugging me.

Isn't it amazing that we live in a state that has a huge percentage of the agriculture for the entire USA, but people act like DIY chicken execution makes you a satanist or something.

Im noteven sure if im zoned to process. However I still do it. What?! Its not like anyone is looking over the fence.
hide.gif

I'd hate to dig up an old thread but since this one was already existing I thought I'd post here and see if anyone has any new info to add. I live near Glendale, CA and I too was looking for someone to process about 6 chickens each month for me. The closest I found was someone advertising on Craigslist out in Perris, CA which is about an hour or so away from me. If I can't find anyone closer I may just have to make a trip out there once a month for a family outing but ideally it would be nice to find someone closer. Any suggestions??

Southern California is a difficult place to find someone to process chickens. I saw an ad on craigslist a while back, but it may have been the person in Perris you are talking about. We have been processing our own chickens for about 6 years now and have looked for a processor off and on during that time. We've never found anyone who does it professionally. The best you might find is a neighbor or family member of a friend/neighbor who knows how and will come help you.

Does anyone know of any "reputable" poultry processors in the Los Angeles County/Orange County area of Southern California? While I will be raising some meat birds, I think I might be pushing my zoning luck by doing the processing in the back yard.

I have asked around at the OC Fair and some of the local 4-H clubs, but most of their suggestions seem to come with a grimace and the explanation that the place they are suggesting is somehwat questionable - definitely NOT where I'd like my family's food to come from!

Any suggestions would be welcome!
I never thought about there being zoning regs about such things......but then again, I am in rural northeast TN. I would think that as long as you dispose of everything, it wouldn't matter. If you are concerned about your neighbors seeing what you are doing, you could always pitch a tent.....LOL

Sometimes I think it makes people come face-to-face with where there meat actually comes from. Do they think it grows out behind the supermarket? If times get tough, though, they will be knocking on your door.....

I processed 6 of them in my yard a few weeks ago. I have tall bushes so nobody can see into my yard but it was just too much work for me to do it every month. Maybe I'll just make a trip to Perris each month on a weekend with the family and have the lady out there do it while we're out shopping or having lunch. She only charges $2 per bird.

Wow, $2 per bird is cheap! I know a farm in Santa Barbara that raises meat birds but they don't do their own processing. The place they use charges $5 per bird.

Back
Top Bottom