Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Hi everyone; I 've been working like a dog . I think I need to get a job so I can work less. I moved my Mass chicks outside yesterday; probably early but these women (and I think one man ) are tough.I sectioned off part of the run; they have been having a blast for 2 days now. I moved the 11 babies out to the garage so I don't have to hear it from my husband anymore. They are funny little kids . One runs after my hand every time I put it in the container.
I've been taking care of Loretta's flock and garden( 1/2 acre small) she has been in Colorado near the wildfire. I picked a huge basket of strawberries from her place . Man are they sweet.

Picked tons of peas today and have a ton more to go in my own garden. I planted Burpees' Easy-peasy I don't think I have ever had better.I want to get more salad started. Man this farm life is tough.

I saw a bumper sticker today that read " Long Island Redneck" I need one.

My son Adam has been offered a full time position in the English dept at the school he is at. They are incorporating the two classes he submitted proposals on also. At least now we won't have to be pay his rent next year.

Hi everyone; I 've been working like a dog . I think I need to get a job so I can work less. I moved my Mass chicks outside yesterday; probably early but these women (and I think one man ) are tough.I sectioned off part of the run; they have been having a blast for 2 days now. I moved the 11 babies out to the garage so I don't have to hear it from my husband anymore. They are funny little kids . One runs after my hand every time I put it in the container.
I've been taking care of Loretta's flock and garden( 1/2 acre small) she has been in Colorado near the wildfire. I picked a huge basket of strawberries from her place . Man are they sweet.

Picked tons of peas today and have a ton more to go in my own garden. I planted Burpees' Easy-peasy I don't think I have ever had better.I want to get more salad started. Man this farm life is tough.

I saw a bumper sticker today that read " Long Island Redneck" I need one.

My son Adam has been offered a full time position in the English dept at the school he is at. They are incorporating the two classes he submitted proposals on also. At least now we won't have to be pay his rent next year.
Such cute babies!!

I have to get that bumper sticker too! I've always known I'm a redneck, but now with the farming...It's confirmed, and out in the open.

Such cute babies!!

I have to get that bumper sticker too! I've always known I'm a redneck, but now with the farming...It's confirmed, and out in the open.
I never tire of peep pocs.
Congrats on your son's hard work. AND yours.
woot.gif

Hi All, I've been enjoying your posts and comments. I've learned alot, but I do have some questions. I live in Center Moriches, (South Shore, L.I.). I'm in the process of building my coop. Do You recommend insulating all the walls inside the coop, or will a light fixture in a draft free house suffice? Our girls are 7 weeks old and we've been penning them in the yard during the nice days. They've been eating bugs, worms, garden veggies, etc. That's not to young is it? Do you recommend any particular books on chicken care. Obviously We are new to this. Thanks so much. Jim

I promise I will post a pic tomorrow, but I just couldn't wait to post this. I went into the coop tonight to check on the babies and there was one chick on mommas back, and two sticking their heads out from behind the top of the wing and one peeping from a shell. It was so insanly cute. The last one to hatch today was from an egg that I had refrigerated for a week before setting (just curious if it would hatch)! Any name suggestions for this chick?

Hi All, I've been enjoying your posts and comments. I've learned alot, but I do have some questions. I live in Center Moriches, (South Shore, L.I.). I'm in the process of building my coop. Do You recommend insulating all the walls inside the coop, or will a light fixture in a draft free house suffice? Our girls are 7 weeks old and we've been penning them in the yard during the nice days. They've been eating bugs, worms, garden veggies, etc. That's not to young is it? Do you recommend any particular books on chicken care. Obviously We are new to this. Thanks so much. Jim
My broody hens have her chicks out eating bugs and such around day 3, so they should be more than ready. Just make sure they are getting grit, momma bird shows them how do do that, but I imagine they pick it up on their own too. Draft free, but well ventilated, is more important than warm from what I have been told. I live upstate and we decided not to insulate, light, or heat the coop, but it is a personal preference (and budgetary one). I recommend Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens.

Hi Jim,
Insulation in a nice dry and well ventilated..... but draft free coop in my opinion isn't really necessary. I've used the light solution when it gets way down there in the freezing zoneonly... and it seems to work just fine for 6 years now. Chickens create some of their own heat as well. Try to stay with hardy birds who tolerate our weather systems.
Ventilation is all important to allow moisture to dissipate and keep them from getting frostbite on their combs/waddles.
Just my opinion as I've never had any issues even when we had some deep freezes a few years back. I kept a 40W red bulb on in their small house and they were snug and warm.

I promise I will post a pic tomorrow, but I just couldn't wait to post this. I went into the coop tonight to check on the babies and there was one chick on mommas back, and two sticking their heads out from behind the top of the wing and one peeping from a shell. It was so insanly cute. The last one to hatch today was from an egg that I had refrigerated for a week before setting (just curious if it would hatch)! Any name suggestions for this chick?
"NoWay".........."LastChance".

Welcome Jim; I just put my girls out Sunday that are about 7weeks also. Make sure they have a shaded place if they want. Chickens hate the heat and don't do very well in it. Make sure they can get out of the rain thats coming in the next few days. My coop isn't insulated and I haven't had a problem.I think keeping it as draft free as possible helps. If you have a question about chickens you can find an answer on BYC. good luck...

Back
Top Bottom