Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Thanks for the replies. Do they get enough grit from the dirt they peck at, or do I need to buy something? I have two vents installed opposite sides of the coop, plus two windows with screens, but I thought I was supposed to cover them over during winter. I will definetly have the red bulb for heat working. Just ordered Storey's from Walmart.com. It looks perfect. Thanks, and goodnight. Jim

Thanks for the replies. Do they get enough grit from the dirt they peck at, or do I need to buy something? I have two vents installed opposite sides of the coop, plus two windows with screens, but I thought I was supposed to cover them over during winter. I will definetly have the red bulb for heat working. Just ordered Storey's from Walmart.com. It looks perfect. Thanks, and goodnight. Jim
Most of what I have read suggests 1 square foot of ventilation for each 10 square feet of floor space.

Hi All, I've been enjoying your posts and comments. I've learned alot, but I do have some questions. I live in Center Moriches, (South Shore, L.I.). I'm in the process of building my coop. Do You recommend insulating all the walls inside the coop, or will a light fixture in a draft free house suffice? Our girls are 7 weeks old and we've been penning them in the yard during the nice days. They've been eating bugs, worms, garden veggies, etc. That's not to young is it? Do you recommend any particular books on chicken care. Obviously We are new to this. Thanks so much. Jim

Hi Jim! Welcome to BYC from Huntington. I insulated our new coop, but only for noise considerations. I have very close neighbors and very noisy hens. From everything I've read, it's really not necessary. We put a light in to extend the day during the winter, and we use an electric water heater to keep the waterer from freezing.

The first book I got was "Chickens in Your Backyard". I liked it because it was simple and funny. I got Storey's Guide too, for really technical stuff, and Raising Chickens for Dummies for all around stuff. As with chickens and shoes, I need MORE of everything!

lau.gif
I didn't recognize my new avatar. I was thinking there was someone new on the thread.

Anyway, thanks to all for their posts. I LOVE getting home after a long day and catching up on everything. Mazel tov, Carolyn. The only thing I've managed to keep doing for over 50 years is breathing...

Cute chickies, eggs pipping, who could ask for more??

Rosie and Karen, you crack me up. (Get it?)

"Poppy" - as in popsicle - for the refrigerated chick. Or maybe Frigidaire, or Amana or Kenmore. Amana is actually a nice name...

I'm still trying to find a way to get the little girls up on the big girl roost. They've been sleeping in the nesting box still and although I turned it so the hens wouldn't lay in it, three of them found a way to get in and leave their eggs their. Two others laid in the other boxes. grrrr....
he.gif

I think one of my friends in Wassaic is going to do it for me. Are you near Wassaic?

40 mins maybe? But feels MUCH farther because I have wind my way thru the back roads towards Connecticut. I actually go to Wassaic for periodic mtgs at the disability center. (I have a small nonprofit that supports families caring for individuals with developmental and related disabilities. www.f2fr.org)

Hi All, I've been enjoying your posts and comments. I've learned alot, but I do have some questions. I live in Center Moriches, (South Shore, L.I.). I'm in the process of building my coop. Do You recommend insulating all the walls inside the coop, or will a light fixture in a draft free house suffice?  Our girls are 7 weeks old and we've been penning them in the yard during the nice days. They've been eating bugs, worms, garden veggies, etc. That's not to young is it? Do you recommend any particular books on chicken care. Obviously We are new to this. Thanks so much. Jim

Check out this thread regarding using poop boards with PDZ--->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/621363/poop-board-convert-warning-graphic-gross-poop-pictures

There are some great coop designs, coop conversions and photos. I am thrilled with PDZ and am currently using it in our brooder. We are in the process of converting our shed into a coop and we are using many ideas from the poop board thread. Tina

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/621363/poop-board-convert-warning-graphic-gross-poop-pictures
There are some great coop designs, coop conversions and photos. I am thrilled with PDZ and am currently using it in our brooder. We are in the process of converting our shed into a coop and we are using many ideas from the poop board thread. Tina
I promise to check it out later, Tina. It's not quite 6 am. A little to early to be discussing chicken poop!
sickbyc.gif

It looks interesting. I'm going to see about getting it for the little girls inside, I'd have to see about the big girls. I use the DLM and I guess I'd have to choose one or the other.

I promise I will post a pic tomorrow, but I just couldn't wait to post this. I went into the coop tonight to check on the babies and there was one chick on mommas back, and two sticking their heads out from behind the top of the wing and one peeping from a shell. It was so insanly cute. The last one to hatch today was from an egg that I had refrigerated for a week before setting (just curious if it would hatch)! Any name suggestions for this chick?
Awww! Too cute! What about Pinguino? After that penguin cartoon?

I love the chick pictures too, nothing better than a fuzz butt to make you smile in the a.m. ;)

Back
Top Bottom