Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Ok guys, everyon calm down - it's a hoax! A very, very good one but a hoax:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/dec/19/golden-eagle-video-film-school-reveals-truth

From a computer animation design school in Montreal. I guess these are the guys that go on to make armies of Orcs attacking Elves?

Anyway, don't be embarrassed about falling for it, the only reason I got suspicious was that Golden Eagle's range does not extend to Montreal, plus it was way too dark/black to be one. Bird Nerd training strikes again.....

Here's a picture of Heather, our bird superhero!

Good morning people!
Brrrrr.....chilly here.

I have gone missing this past week trying to get paperwork/shopping etc. out of the way before the holidays. sigh......no rest for the weary as usual. :)

The eagle video was really scary....my son saw it just yeaterday and had me watch it. Wow was all I could say and am I glad it was a hoax.

Heather:
I LOVED the 2 videos you linked and watched them both.
That hawks were so agile is amazinl and beautiful to watch.

The Private Life of Chickens story was really interesting and I watched it all. How smart they truly are.....amazingly so. Their pecking order is fascinating.

Sewing Machines........hmm.......my suggestion would to be to begin simple straight lines and practice....practice before trying "curved" patterns like saddles and such.
Take a small 4 patch square quilt pattern found anywhere online for free and it will teach a lot of the basics in that one simple piece of patch work. Including ironing, trimming etc.
She can then make it usefull and use as a little trivet....table topper.....and save her first piece work.

Making it square....simple .straight line sewing and sharp points will give your daughter "polished" skills in a few easy lessons before she tackles complicated things.
And remind her that "As we sew, so shall we rip". That meaning we take out a lot of seams till we get it just right.... and not to be discouraged. I still rip seams all the time...sigh. Hate whan that happens.
barnie.gif

Most of all to have fun!

The predators are really bad this winter so far. Geesh. First the hawk and now something took the neck out of one of my hens, crop gone, head still attached, breast skinned. What the hell does that? Coon? Mink? I set the trap. Whatever ends up in it dies. I am ready to quit chickens. First the fox thing, then the illnesses, now the hawk and some other predator. I need to build a bigger run and not let them range anymore I guess. I really like them to get the greens though and I cannot afford to feed them bought forage. Maybe I will fence the entire 1/3 acre with electric fencing. Probably the least expensive in the long run, I just didn't want a yard full of fence. UUUuuugh. Thanks for letting me vent.
somad.gif

The predators are really bad this winter so far. Geesh. First the hawk and now something took the neck out of one of my hens, crop gone, head still attached, breast skinned. What the hell does that? Coon? Mink? I set the trap. Whatever ends up in it dies. I am ready to quit chickens. First the fox thing, then the illnesses, now the hawk and some other predator. I need to build a bigger run and not let them range anymore I guess. I really like them to get the greens though and I cannot afford to feed them bought forage. Maybe I will fence the entire 1/3 acre with electric fencing. Probably the least expensive in the long run, I just didn't want a yard full of fence. UUUuuugh. Thanks for letting me vent. :mad:

How awful! I now have an animal chewing on one of my wooden coop doors. It's chewed several inches off the bottom trying to get in. Very perturbing...

Hi! I'm look for 2 pullets, black, bearded Silkies. Can't go to Congress but my friend Stoopid (Roberta) will take them home or I can pick up if you're not too far from Long Island. Need some new blood in my flock. thanx!

The predators are really bad this winter so far. Geesh. First the hawk and now something took the neck out of one of my hens, crop gone, head still attached, breast skinned. What the hell does that? Coon? Mink? I set the trap. Whatever ends up in it dies. I am ready to quit chickens. First the fox thing, then the illnesses, now the hawk and some other predator. I need to build a bigger run and not let them range anymore I guess. I really like them to get the greens though and I cannot afford to feed them bought forage. Maybe I will fence the entire 1/3 acre with electric fencing. Probably the least expensive in the long run, I just didn't want a yard full of fence. UUUuuugh. Thanks for letting me vent.
somad.gif
Yes, my small flock is locked down tight because of hawks and the feed bill is rising.

I paid $32.00 for a 50 lb. bag of scratch and a bale of straw. ShiRt...............Feed is now $22.00per $50 lbs here. Maybe time for a co-op of friends to get together locally here now and travel for it.

They even eat saurkraut I discovered today...along with some left over black beans...brown rice.....baked beans.... and soaked raisins as a casserole this afternoon... Anything n everything from my kitchen is being accepted but for the avacados I forgot I had and gave them later on. They turned up their noses those snobs.

Yes, my small  flock is locked down tight because of hawks  and the feed bill is rising. 

I paid $32.00 for a 50 lb. bag of scratch and a bale of straw. ShiRt...............Feed is now $22.00per $50 lbs here. Maybe time for a co-op of friends to get together locally here now and travel for it.

They even eat saurkraut I discovered today...along with some left over black beans...brown rice.....baked beans.... and soaked raisins as a casserole this afternoon... Anything n everything from my kitchen is being accepted but for the avacados I forgot I had and gave them later on. They turned up their noses those snobs.

Maggie, please don't feed avocados to your chickens! They are very bad for them. I read that a long time ago. Here is a link from BYC.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/560820/can-chickens-eat-avacado

Back
Top Bottom