Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Thank you both! We had something medical pop up and I expect everything to be ok.

Roberta, Thank you for offering to pick up stuff for me. Erica also reached out to me today, I think I'm all set for now.

Have fun, and sell lots of real chicks, tshirts and crocheted chicks!
I hope all is well Tina.
hugs.gif

I guess everyone is at the poultry congress. I wish I could have made it, ended up working. I can't wait to see the pics and hear about all the purchases and beautiful poultry! Ok, back to work for me.

I located a good article which talks about fertilization of eggs and mentions how sperm is stored in a special gland...
http://extension.umaine.edu/publications/2072e/

"Making the mating"
"Let’s talk a little about the biology of fertilization and oviposition. In birds, fertilization occurs in the upper region of the oviduct, known as the infundibulum. During normal copulation the male deposits several million sperm cells into the vaginal area of the female reproductive tract. These sperm are then stored in special sperm storage glands that line the inner surface of the upper and lower ends of the oviduct. As each ovum or yolk is released from the ovary, sperm cells are evacuated from the storage glands into the upper region of the oviduct, allowing fertilization to occur. Fertilization must take place before any of the albumen layers are added to the yolk.
Sperm cells can be successfully stored for days or even weeks in the female oviduct. In domestic fowl, fertility levels will start to decline about seven days after a successful mating or insemination. Fertility may persist for as long as three weeks in chickens, but on average lasts ten to fourteen days. When switching males in a pedigree program, spermatozoa from a new mating will tend to dominate over those of the first male; however it’s best to wait two weeks before saving eggs from the new male. Turkeys have a much longer fertile period and one insemination may last as long as four weeks.

If you were following a program of artificial insemination (AI) with exhibition breeders, a general recommendation would be for inseminations every five to seven days for chickens. Most of the exhibition turkeys are produced by natural matings but if AI is used a schedule of every seven to ten days is sufficient. AI should be used sparingly in heritage turkeys. One of their virtues is the ability to mate naturally."

Nice article Tina. I'm always looking to learn more. I found a book on the Murray McMuray site that I want, cheaper on Amizon, about the genotyes and phenotypes. Figured I should know how chicken genetics work before I start breeding any random birds.

Nice article Tina. I'm always looking to learn more. I found a book on the Murray McMuray site that I want, cheaper on Amizon, about the genotyes and phenotypes. Figured I should know how chicken genetics work before I start breeding any random birds.
May I ask which book you are considering? I'm also looking to understand more about genetics.

Back
Top Bottom