Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

I also have a veggie garden on the front garden of our house. I don't care what the neighbors think. The sun is great right in that area . We cut our own lawn & my clothes are drying on the line right now. I love it. I'm planting tomatoes, cukes, string beans, rhubarb, herbs, zucchini, radish, broccoli. Tried corn last year with pole beans growing up the corn stalks. I plant flowers in between for cutting

Here, so far, is growing kale, swiss chard, sugar snap peas, carrots, red potatoes, red onions, Egyptian onions, mini-carrots, radishes, maybe beets, and a few types of lettuce. I suspect that the frost may have damaged the tomatoes and strawberries plants, put in a bit too soon.

Flowers planted so far are morning glories in a few varieties, some dahlias, bleeding heart (pink), gladiolus, and lillies, both orange tiger lillies and the pink star gazer variety. Who knows what will sprout and blossom, though... but I had fun planting them!

I'm still most amazed that baby chicks will be in my home soon. May 10th is not far away. I've never cared for new chicks before, and these will be bantams. I've never seen bantam chicks before. Hoping all goes well with me caring for the little darling. I'm haunting the "raising chicks" section!

Bantam babes are little cotton ball size, so cute. Good luck
Here, so far, is growing kale, swiss chard, sugar snap peas, carrots, red potatoes, red onions, Egyptian onions, mini-carrots, radishes, maybe beets, and a few types of lettuce. I suspect that the frost may have damaged the tomatoes and strawberries plants, put in a bit too soon.

Flowers planted so far are morning glories in a few varieties, some dahlias, bleeding heart (pink), gladiolus, and lillies, both orange tiger lillies and the pink star gazer variety. Who knows what will sprout and blossom, though... but I had fun planting them!

I'm still most amazed that baby chicks will be in my home soon. May 10th is not far away. I've never cared for new chicks before, and these will be bantams. I've never seen bantam chicks before. Hoping all goes well with me caring for the little darling. I'm haunting the "raising chicks" section!

Ok, funny story for your lovely spring afternoon...
Took my little Black Copper Marans chick outside to play with the Silkies. There are 4 silkies, they are easily 5 times the size of the chick...they were PETRIFIED. They piled into a corner and beeped pitifully as if to say "Make it go away, it's a KILLER!" as the chick ate their food and drank their water they shivered in horror.
lau.gif

I finally had to remove the chick because I thought it was far too much stress.

lau.gif
Oh my goodness, maybe it's a tough-talkin' baby Marans chick?
gig.gif

Oh, my.. cotton ball - sized? That teeny? Thanks for wishing me good luck-- I may need it! I can hardly wait until the chicks are here!
clap.gif

celebrate.gif
I wanna know breeds, each and every last one of them please.
gig.gif
Really? Ok, you asked for it... lol. In order from most to least: BPR, Brahma (mostly dark, couple of white and one buff for fun), salmon faverolles, speckled sussex, wellsummer, BlWheaten Ameraucana, leghorn, marans, New this year: polish, naked neck, appenzeller spitzhauben, brabanter,RIR, seabright and 28 bobwhite quail. Fun times with 5 roosters around. If I was feeling better I would have those breeding pens done.
Aaaah! A Showgirl named Periscope! I loooove it!
gig.gif
When I see pictures of Showgirls, I always wanna get them a teeny cashmere scarf. Too cute!

Has anybody here got a Barbu D'anvers? I'll be bringing home day-old chicks around May 10th. I briefly had a rescue hen who was a D'anvers mix, but she died after we rescued her, she was too ill (starvation in her old home). I think Friday, the science teacher I gave the eggs to for his classroom hatch project, may candle the 6 eggs to see if any are developing.
fl.gif
I so wanted to incubate them and watch the hatching myself. I'll never have hatching eggs or chicks again, so this was my only opportunity to watch. Ah, well. The babies
wub.gif
will keep me busy for sure!

PS-- Anybody doing gardening this year? Veggies, flowers? Whatcha got growin'?
smile.png
I plant like I select chickens... I grow all of the usual suspects and then some more unusual varieties of stuff. This year it is a group of heirloom beans and squash. I am growing only one of each type and with open pollinators so that I can collect seed this year. If it works out I will put together some seed sharing packets.
Took my little Black Copper Marans chick outside to play with the Silkies. There are 4 silkies, they are easily 5 times the size of the chick...they were PETRIFIED. They piled into a corner and beeped pitifully as if to say "Make it go away, it's a KILLER!" as the chick ate their food and drank their water they shivered in horror.
lau.gif

That is outstanding. They don't call 'em chickens for nothing. So funny.

Last edited:
Aaaah! A Showgirl named Periscope! I loooove it!
gig.gif
When I see pictures of Showgirls, I always wanna get them a teeny cashmere scarf. Too cute!

Has anybody here got a Barbu D'anvers? I'll be bringing home day-old chicks around May 10th. I briefly had a rescue hen who was a D'anvers mix, but she died after we rescued her, she was too ill (starvation in her old home). I think Friday, the science teacher I gave the eggs to for his classroom hatch project, may candle the 6 eggs to see if any are developing.
fl.gif
I so wanted to incubate them and watch the hatching myself. I'll never have hatching eggs or chicks again, so this was my only opportunity to watch. Ah, well. The babies
wub.gif
will keep me busy for sure!

PS-- Anybody doing gardening this year? Veggies, flowers? Whatcha got growin'?
smile.png

I have lettuce, spinach , carrots, kohlrabi, cabbage, napa cabbage, bok choy, broccoli, tomatoes, Cucumbers, zucchini, squash, musk melons, eggplant, peppers, peas, red beans, green beans, pattypan squash, parsnip, pumpkin, herbs and random flowers within the veggie garden. I also grow giant sunflowers and this year I am trying out some bitter melons (that is a rough english translation) they look like spikey cucumbers and taste like butt......why grow them?...they are good for blood pressure and as nasty as they taste my father loves them so i grow them for him.
I wanted to try a corn this year that burpee introduced this year called "On Deck" it is supposed to be a container corn...(I won't buy from them usually but this one really made me want it). I have blueberries and one raspberry but have never gotten a single fruit from any of them. A plum tree which might survive the season but will most likely only have fruit on the top since the chickens apparently love the flower buds. We have a little apple tree that broke last year during sandy, hopefully it will have some fruit this year. Besides that...who knows what I will pick up at a roadside plant sale or the local nursery.
lau.gif

This reminds me of my dogs, who are completely OWNED by a kitten I had fostered in the house. It was really pathetic too watch but hilarious.

Peas,potatoes,red and yellow onions,collards,kale ,arugula ,Swiss chard, may types of lettuce, Egyptian walking onions,Jerusalem artichoke cabbage,spinach all in already. Also an herb garden is in.
Tomatoes,peppers,eggplant,beans will be going in soon

Back
Top Bottom