Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Well I just drove to jersey and brought home an Eglu with run and accessories . Like I need another coop. Gonna give it to my 3 little Aruacanas that will be 5 weeks old on Sunday. Have to sanitize the thing first. It was no where near flemington Suzanne. I would have had to think long and hard if it was.

Hi ...neighbors?
Was browsing the threads and came across this group and a few local references...I'm in Stony Brook...kind of a part-timer with the chicken thing, so learning lots here.

Welcome, Biologrady!
welcome-byc.gif

Rosie, OMG the cuteness! The sheer adorable cuteness! Toss Lovey the poundcake and abscond with this little dumpling! SOOOO cute!

Queenchick, how neat, and Egglu! Those always looked intriguing to me. I hope your Araucana babies love it!

Toxic, I hope yuou and your girls stay safe if they're spraying. Good prep on your part!

Hi ...neighbors?
Was browsing the threads and came across this group and a few local references...I'm in Stony Brook...kind of a part-timer with the chicken thing, so learning lots here.

Welcome to the group... What are you doing your grad work in? What type of girls do you have? You name it we have it on here. Lots of good people with lots of chicken knowledge.
Welcome

Ok so I was just sitting in the yard with my little silkie "the queen" she isn't that's just her name and a huge cooper hawk flew about 3 feet above my head. I don't know if it was trying to get the bird or what. Man was that intense. All the other girls stood up at attention they had to cut their evening short, they are all in now.that makes me good and nervous. That silkie wouldn't have seen it coming. It was amazingly fast. There out there ladies.​

Hiya! I'm Ann
My backstory... Came here as a student 20 some years ago and became trapped here in the suburbs...came from a farm family in PA. My lovely husband has indulged me very nicely, with my horse replaced with a Great Dane, a houseful if "barn cats" and now chickens too...
Last year we got a few golden laced Wyndottes and Jersey Giants as day-olds, and kept them here in Stony Brook for a few months, then sent them "to the country" where my mom spoils them rotten and they can free range without too much interference with the neighbors. We lost one mysteriously (lowest in pecking order) and they've had some close calls with hawks and coyotes but are doing very well. This spring we decided to get four more, so I now am enslaved by Zelda, Bella, Hedwig and Red , who are a Barred rock, speckled Sussex, Easter egger and Rhode Island Red respectively. These girls will need to be a bit older when we move them up to join the other flock, so I expect they'll be here until fall. Personally I'd love to have a flock year-round but I don't think I can handle one more job during the school year. ( Biology and chemistry teacher here).
Good to know there are chicken folk nearby... When I was a kid we often had chickens, but dual purpose, so if there was a problem, we usually just ate well for awhile...I don't know much about chicken first aid, etc. so I'm glad I found you. Also hard to find chicken supplies! I've been going to Agway in Port Jeff or picking up supplies when we go to PA.

Hi all, I'm in brookly.....I'm looking for a place to get a coop ASAP. A Local rescue that I had chatted with about getting a few hens called me because someone had abandoned 3. So I need a coop ASAP. I was planning on building my own and then getting the chickens, but things didn't work out that way. Any leads would be very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom