Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Hiya! I'm Ann
My backstory... Came here as a student 20 some years ago and became trapped here in the suburbs...came from a farm family in PA. My lovely husband has indulged me very nicely, with my horse replaced with a Great Dane, a houseful if "barn cats" and now chickens too...
Last year we got a few golden laced Wyndottes and Jersey Giants as day-olds, and kept them here in Stony Brook for a few months, then sent them "to the country" where my mom spoils them rotten and they can free range without too much interference with the neighbors. We lost one mysteriously (lowest in pecking order) and they've had some close calls with hawks and coyotes but are doing very well. This spring we decided to get four more, so I now am enslaved by Zelda, Bella, Hedwig and Red , who are a Barred rock, speckled Sussex, Easter egger and Rhode Island Red respectively. These girls will need to be a bit older when we move them up to join the other flock, so I expect they'll be here until fall. Personally I'd love to have a flock year-round but I don't think I can handle one more job during the school year. ( Biology and chemistry teacher here).
Good to know there are chicken folk nearby... When I was a kid we often had chickens, but dual purpose, so if there was a problem, we usually just ate well for awhile...I don't know much about chicken first aid, etc. so I'm glad I found you. Also hard to find chicken supplies! I've been going to Agway in Port Jeff or picking up supplies when we go to PA.
I only go to PJ Agway in an emergency-I get my feed and pine chips and hay at Brian's Aquarium in Rocky Point. They usually stock one or two bags of layena and Grower, (Which I usually clean them out of-I like to pre-stock) they also keep scratch in stock.
Agway is good (and cheaper) for feeders, waterers and treats.

Again, WELCOME!! (and we love pictures if you can post them...)

Hi all, I'm in brookly.....I'm looking for a place to get a coop ASAP. A Local rescue that I had chatted with about getting a few hens called me because someone had abandoned 3. So I need a coop ASAP. I was planning on building my own and then getting the chickens, but things didn't work out that way. Any leads would be very much appreciated.
welcome-byc.gif

Craigslist is a wealth of coop possibilities. Rabbit hutches (the BIG ones) can also be temporary coops, if you can free range. One of our girls uses a little tykes playhouse, modified for her girls, and it's in a big pen-it's truly fabulous.

Ok, my next attempt at some more baby pictures!

Peek-a-boo!

Lovey and one of the babies

Here comes the other baby!

Miss Boots' little girl!

My big fluffy Lovey. Isn't she gorgeous? (Do you see the light patch of feathers on her back? that's where the dog grabbed her when she defended her last brood-the feathers grew in lighter!)

Ann Welcome, I went to SBU and loved living out there during that time. Best of Wishes to you. Diane I really would check out craigslist and the paper for a quick ASAP coop. I know I have seen some listening for different things that can either be used as is or modified for coops, especially for three girls. I Personally have found a lot of supplies for my coop building (I lie because my coop building is really my husband building stuff I think up lol). If you need inspiration checkout the coop pages on here, people are very creative and post pictures of their coops.

We have a ton of rain already here....waiting on the rest. Wet weekend it is.

:)

It's July 13 not the 17th. It's aSaturday. If you go to Craigslist long island, then under farm and garden punch in Amenia under search and it will come up. I love things like this.

Hey, Carol, count me in. Maybe if I haven't found a home for Ed by then, I can find him a family there!

Oh Dang! Just realized that we have tickets to see Lyle Lovett that night. Maybe if it was early enough...

Last edited:
Good morning all, I just saw something very cool on Craigslist. A chicken/ livestock/ farm swap on July 17 in Amenia NY In Dutchess county, about 2 and a half hours from Islip . I think the 17 th I'll have to go back and check. It's going to be at the tractor supply parking lot. No set up fee. Hey Al and Tina . I have to check I might check it out. No further than the jersey showand NO belt parkway

Was going to take the silkies to the swap, but found good homes today for all of them. If you guys/gals come up to the swap, maybe I can drive out there to say hi. There is a Four Brothers restaurant that has great Greek salads in Amenia. Lunch might be a possibility?

Back
Top Bottom