Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Today, this.....

Became this....

Tomorrow ill fix up the oops paint spots and touch up the the white. Finally put the runs roof on and put more hardware cloth on the bottom and the chickens will be ready to roll. ;-)

Beautiful......

Roberta is right. You have to be licensed in rescue for an example.......to keep wild turkeys. my girlfriend does rescue work. We now have a large turkey population here near the beach on a hospital's property that are protected. She's saved and released dozens.......she loves them.

Almost forgot. To all the newcomers, welcome!
I've been off for awhile....just busy with things and health....Welcome to all
welcome-byc.gif

Al .....congrats on the grandson.. I have 7 (4 Granddaughters and 3 grandsons) of my own so far and they are great especially at the end of the day when you hand them back! LOL
My 22 month old grandson finally called me "Grandmi" yesterday for the first time.
celebrate.gif
He said everyone elses, aunts uncles, cousins, even my 4 dogs. It was a fabulous feeling to hear him say it! Wishing much love, health and happiness to the wee one and family!

Irene

Hello All,
I am a newbie around here and to chickens. I have just finished building my coop, and will be picking up my four girls tomorrow. I would like to purchase Sweet PDZ to use on poop boards, something I have read about on BYC. Does anyone have a ny source for this? I live in southern westchester, Mt Vernon. I have to be out on Long Island this weekend, and dont mind driving.

I also wonder if anyone here does the Deep litter method? That was my plan. Any thoughts? Insights?

Thanks so much!
I do DLM in the winter for extra warmth/insulation but not in the summer. Inside the coop which is raised 4x6 for 5 pullet I have 2-4 inches of wood shavings and use a long handled kitty litter to scoop it all towards me and then remove it to a garbage can. The floor of the run is mostly sand and pea gravel with a light layer of wood shavings to make it easier to pick up large poops as needed. The sand is cooler for them in the summer and you can mist it down. In winter I use the DLM and also put down 4-6 inches of shavings. I remove top layers and just keep adding more ontop. Eveyone always remarks that there is no odor in my run!
smile.png

Quote: Yes...the mosquitos are bad. Even found one of the huge Tiger mosquitoes trying to chow down on me.
rant.gif
I am using Deep Woods off and also put a fan on me when sitting outside watching them free-range. I have fans in the coop to deter them as well as hanging citronella thingies for the girls. The mosquitoes don't like moving air much. I've only had one bite so far.

Thanks all for the info for PDZ. I did find it at Bennies Feed. I plan to do poop trays with the PDZ in it and be able to scoop out the poop.

Last night was the first night home with my girls, I felt like a nervous new parent. I got 1 buff orpington, 1 Maran, 1 Liver lace wyandote, and 1 easter egger. They are so cute.

I was wondering if I should close up the nest box so they dont sleep in it? they are 6-8 weeks old, so we have a while before they are laying. It seemed like they were in it a lot last night based on the poop! Where they were living they had lots of little dark hiding spots in there coop, maybe I should provide them something just like a board leaning ont eh wall to create a little "cave"??
Mine all slept in the nest box when they were little, I also got them inNovember when it ws cold. I see no problem becasue when it was time, they abandoned the nest box for the roost. They then used that nest box for when they began laying eggs abut later switched to another one. Now they all lay in the same nest box. You can see them line up at times waiting for their turns.
big_smile.png

Hey Mags where you been?

Well today one of my bantams layed their first egg. It's this tiny thing. She risked going into the big girls box to lay it. I wish I knew how to post the pictures from my iPad in here.

They just can't wait til the sun is off the yard.

Back
Top Bottom