Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Morning all, someone in North Bellmore has 5 rabbit cages on Craigslist for free.they don't look bad.they would make nice isolation /transition cages for some girls.they could even be used for transporting.

How's everyone's girls in the heat?

So I actually saw something moving today in the eggs! I was so excited. Thank goodness I expect myself to be clumsy and take precautions so I don't drop eggs. My husband knows I am for real crazy now too. I moved the incubator today to a better spot for viewing them hatching..I am hoping to have at least one hatch and then I think I will put her under the broody in the garden. One of Heather's girls went broody on me and I thought I would let her have whatever makes it out of the incubator
fl.gif

Hope everyone is holding up in the heat.

~S~

Making up chick saver for the girls. They spend the day hiding under bushes to try and keep cool. Except my EE who waits for the back door to open then runs inside lol. I let her stay in for a bit to cool off. She's a smart one.

I feel so bad for these chickens in this heat...I hate this heat for myself and the dark brahmas are mouth breathing, I guess the added leg feathers make them hotter than the rest. I have a box fan blowing under the coop since they spend a lot of time under the coop. I load them with ice water in the morning before I go to work and again when I get home. So hot in the coop at night, but I have a little round fan blowing towards where they hang out on the roost.
As I mentioned a few days ago one of the Columbian rocks crosses is indeed a rooster, crowing away after I let them out in the morning. No complaints yet, but some days I don't go into work untill 12 and some days 7 so his crowing times vary. QUESTION: he's attacking the girls which I am assuming is him wanting to mate, at 14 weeks old is it too early for the girls to be close to laying? Is there anybody that would want or can have a rooster that maybe a girl could be traded for or knows of someone I could get another hen?
Good luck to all in this heat. I envy everybody that can be home checking on their girls making sure they are ok. Take care to the moms and dads of flocks out there.

I just bought an Air Conditioning for my chickens. the caretaker told me the temperature was really hot yesterday.

So far I added two ventilation roof solar fan. a cold waterer and now I'm adding an air conditioning. I better keep that to my self and not say anything to my folks back home. They might think I have gone mad. But I love those little ones.

I think 14 weeks is just a little young. Some breeds start laying sooner than others.

We do tend to keep things to ourselves 'cause most people just don't get it. We don't think you're mad at all.

Looked all over for my Araucana babies yesterday only to find them IN a tree. I'm thinking the two rumpless are Roos and the one that ended up with a tail is a hen. I can't win with this breed. If it ends up like that, I'm going to try and keep the black one somewhere til I can breed it to the tailed one to see what I get. They are not afraid of the big girls at all.

Stay cool

Back
Top Bottom