Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Question for the group.... I have silkies. This will be our first winter together. Thoughts on their hardiness during the winter or if I need an alternate heat source....

Good ? I have 2 that I bought at the conference and the guy said he had them in unsheathed barn. I didn't put them out til the end of March.
I don't heat my coops.

I can clip them for you.
I clipped Peaches when she got home from her little trip.
Silkies are fine outside, just like any other bird. They don't do well if they get wet in the cold, try to keep that in mind

Hey guys! I just finally caught up reading - wow, I've missed a lot. There is still too much unpacking to be done, and then we are going to Florida for a week on Wednesday, but I have been thinking about building another coop already. Yes, it's "illegal" in my subdivision but the neighbors on one side are very nice animal lovers, older couple, and the neighbors on the other side have 20' tall trees along our property line and haven't introduced themselves. I doubt they will even notice. Plus there is a nice shady spot at the back and - wait for it - an electric line out there already! Yes! I can make sure to put a good fan in for these lovely 104o days in August. What's really fun is that I get to think about all the stuff I'd really want in a coop and try to build it in from the get-go instead of jerry-rig it later. Oh it's going to be a fun summer of sketching plans, I tell you.

I am missing all of my girls, and as you may have heard from Hippy Chippy, we lost Cinnamon my little D'Uccle, but she was always really flighty. I'm guessing either someone else has claimed her as a pet, she got taken by a hawk, or she's doing just fine and will show up again sometime when it gets cold out. Who knows... thanks Roberta for taking the rooster back. You know they renamed Nutmeg "Nutjob" because she got so bossy once the standards were gone! Lol.

My daughter really wants a silkie, if I can just talk my husband into letting us have a house chicken I'd be set. Not that I have any idea where I'd put it right now. The boxes are all gone but it's still a big mess here. The joys of moving when you are an OCD organizing type person.

Hope you're all well, and if I make it to the North Texas state fair I'll post some pictures from the poultry tent!

Take care,
Heather

ya.gif
Hi Heather!

hello everyone! I have had my girls for a good part of the summer now and finally took the plunge today and let them out into the yard a bit. It was so fun to see them out and about exploring a little bit.

We just set up an automatic door to open and close our door into the coop in anticipation for a week we will be away. Does anyone else have an automatic door? I actually liked letting them in and out, but it is hard to get someone to come twice a day, once a day is easier just to check in.

What do others do the prepare for being away? I was reading about making a "brick" of seeds etc for the girls to peck at to keep them busy. Has anyone done that?

we also set up a hose mister on a timer in case it gets hot. i would love to hear about what others do!

Bq , I have used the flock blocks when I had to go away for the weekend. No complaints . I know they aren't the best in nutrition but its a necessary item when you can't be there I guess. I would also give them things to "play" with while your away....I gave my girls a head of cabbage hanging and some other veggies around for them to pick at.

Back
Top Bottom