Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Decided to save money and make my own run extension. Home depot cut all the wood for me. Me & mom painted it. Now I'm screwing it together. It's coming better than I expected but I am so NOT into this. Power tools scare me lol
Congrats and good for you!!! A little late in replying - was away

That clip was so funny and true! My husband and I were talking about goats the other day. We thought , " oh, we could have a goat or two to eat the poison ivy and we can bring them to the schools that can't use chemicals on the fields and they can eat that poison I've, blah blah blah...." I know people I. West islip with chickens, but no goats!

sy6a4ary.jpg

Seriously the sweetest thing ever.

He DOES sound, well, not like a Roo. I don't care. I love it. I had him in on his daily house visit and he crowed at me from the fireplace screen (his favorite perch) I absolutely adore this little guy.
6u3upybu.jpg

Love these pics! Glad this rooster brings you and your son so much joy!

Hello all,

Suzanne, has your little frizzle started laying yet?

Christina, have your Spitz and others from the ideal order started laying? The first two bantams have been for at least 2 months now.

The other day Richard said he was going to get me down to 6 hens again...isn't that a joke...let him try I say.19 to 6 ha ha ha

Mareks Disease :

I am not a vet and do not claim to be an expert. Having said that, I do a thorough job of researching information and verifying with multiple sources. I feel it is important to clarify some of the points brought up in some recent online discussions about Mareks Disease (MD).

The following are some of the things I understand about Mareks from two well regarded vets....one previously and one currently affiliated with Cornell Unversity Vet School (I believe #1 school in the country). This info has been cross checked and confirmed with other University vets at different sites in the US.

Please note that I have used capital letters as a means to emphasize certain words in order to avoid confusion and not to yell.

1) The Mareks Disease (MD) vaccine used by hatcheries is a LIVE Mareks Virus and NOT available to the general public.
2) The vaccine available to backyard flock owners is a LIVE Herpes Turkey Virus (HTV) which can NOT give birds Mareks. Repeat....can NOT.
3) The vaccine can be given at ANY age.
4) No vaccine is 100% effective. Mareks vaccine is about 95%-98%effective.
5) After vaccination, birds may contract MD if exposed to an extremely virulent strain....However, the vaccine helps prevent the tumors from forming which is what causes paralysis and leads to death.
6) There is NO reaction or mortality from the vaccine.
7) The ONLY way to diagnose Mareks is via a necropsy to check for tumors (which are about the size of lead in a pencil) on nerves (about the size of thread). Someone not trained to look for these tiny tumors may overlook them... Home autopsies may not identify the tumors.
8) There are NO exams or histopathology tests (bloodwork etc) to determine Mareks Disease.
9) Annual MD vaccine boosters may be beneficial and can NOT hurt.
10) Some folks keep turkeys with their chickens as a means of providing the HTV immunity...however, not all turkeys carry the HTV and only those WITH the HTV can confer immunity to chickens
11) Thrush and coccidiosis can present neurological symptoms similar to Mareks and cause confusion in diagnosing disease.
12) Cocci is the most prolific killer of chickens in the backyard flock and mites is the next highest killer.
13) "Cutting" the Mareks vaccine wafer to save money, reduces the potency and therefor could conceivably cause "failure" of the vaccine
14) Mareks can be easily transmitted by contact through the birds mouth, eyes and nostrils.
15) Birds vaccinated with the HTV vaccine will NOT shed MD or infect other birds with Mareks.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom