Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

I'm really getting anxious for my first egg. I'm watching my girls like a hawk as they're 24 months and their rent is past due!

They've been on layer feed and shells for several weeks now, are sporting deep red combs but nothing yet. Hussies!

A few moments ago I heard the "egg song" being belted from across the yard and my smallest girl, Mabel, was bawking as she walked across the yard. The other two had their necks stretched, a little bewildered at her noise.

Alas, no eggs. She's stopped singing and is back to picking at my flowers.

Am I getting close? Does this song mean she'll lay soon?

Very frustrated.

At least Mama's baby boy is showing some love. Here's the vicious half-pint sleeping like a baby in my arms:
2ygynyzu.jpg

I'm really getting anxious for my first egg. I'm watching my girls like a hawk as they're 24 months and their rent is past due!

They've been on layer feed and shells for several weeks now, are sporting deep red combs but nothing yet. Hussies!

A few moments ago I heard the "egg song" being belted from across the yard and my smallest girl, Mabel, was bawking as she walked across the yard. The other two had their necks stretched, a little bewildered at her noise.

Very frustrated.

At least Mama's baby boy is showing some love. Here's the vicious half-pint sleeping like a baby in my arms:
2ygynyzu.jpg

Big tough guy you got there. What a sweet baaaaby!

On a not chicken related note... my cousin had a stray show up at her house and have puppies. They appear to be treeing tennesee brindle mixes. So adorable. If anyone is interested, pm me, they are free and will be ready for homes in a few weeks. She is going to meet me 1/2 way (she is in TN) so I can adopt one of them and I can transport for anyone who is interested. Three have bob tails, three have long tails.
1175725_663131150364367_2127628404_n.jpg

1001436_663131310364351_1432387616_n.jpg

Carolina are they doing the little squat for you? It sounds like they are close, be sure to check around because they might not lay in the nest boxes the first few times.

Jersey those puppies are so cute.

I hatched out my second try with the incubator
big_smile.png
10 chicks hatched !!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

My son is in love with them almost as much as my husband and I. He is worried that they don't have a mama though, and I told him we would have to love them extra since they came from the incubator.
love.gif

I got five Rhodebars and 5 CCL's
I think I have six girls and four boys.

Hi Everyone.....been very busy. Lots going on with my husband's surprise 70th BD party which went off perfectly and the beginning of the kitchen remodel. The whole kitchen is gutted and I am looking forward to having a new kitchen.

On top of all this plus some, one of my girls, Poppy, a Speckled Sussex, got bumblefoot.
tongue.gif
My son, (the doctor) and I performed the surgery on Sunday. I wasa so happy that I had made up an emergency kit. Everything I needed was in there, except for a scalple and blade which my husband had otherwise I would have pulled out an Exacto knife. My son, Rob, did the cutting and I assisted. We got the infection early, it was swollen but no real kernal formation. The bad news is that 3 of the others look like they have the black scabs but no swelling (yet) I looked at it this morning and it looks great! My DH was a perfect holder! [BTW, he is a doctor too but will leave future surgeries to me LOL]

Poppy is doing well and is happier with the smaller bandage. I also let her out yesterday to scratch around and she was happy for the distraction.

So.....the big question is.........Do I wait, or should I go ahead and tackle the other three????
idunno.gif

What have your experiences been with bumblefoot. Did you treat it or go to a vet????

Very frustrated.

2ygynyzu.jpg

That is just way too cute........Sigh

Hi Everyone.....been very busy. Lots going on with my husband's surprise 70th BD party which went off perfectly and the beginning of the kitchen remodel. The whole kitchen is gutted and I am looking forward to having a new kitchen.

On top of all this plus some, one of my girls, Poppy, a Speckled Sussex, got bumblefoot.
tongue.gif
My son, (the doctor) and I performed the surgery on Sunday. I wasa so happy that I had made up an emergency kit. Everything I needed was in there, except for a scalple and blade which my husband had otherwise I would have pulled out an Exacto knife. My son, Rob, did the cutting and I assisted. We got the infection early, it was swollen but no real kernal formation. The bad news is that 3 of the others look like they have the black scabs but no swelling (yet) I looked at it this morning and it looks great! My DH was a perfect holder! [BTW, he is a doctor too but will leave future surgeries to me LOL]

Poppy is doing well and is happier with the smaller bandage. I also let her out yesterday to scratch around and she was happy for the distraction.

So.....the big question is.........Do I wait, or should I go ahead and tackle the other three????
idunno.gif

What have your experiences been with bumblefoot. Did you treat it or go to a vet????

Wow! You are very calm for someone who's entire kitchen is gone. I would not be handling it so well.

And how nice to have doctors on call for you! I'm not sure about treating bumblefoot, I never had it happen to me. I might suggest soaking their feet in epsom salts first as that seems like an easy route before you have to break out the surgical kit again.

So I finally had a chance to clean off my desk tonight, and I found a 10% off coupon for Williams Sonoma. So did I buy an obnoxiously over-priced coop because it was slightly less overpriced? Yes, yes, I did. Blame PMS, blame 9/11, blame me just meeting a neighbor that has hens despite the rules in the HOA, whatever. I am clearly a happier person with chickens in my life. My daughter Jane already wants me to get a Silkie for her. Gee, do you think they might have some for sale at the Texas State Fair perchance? Hmm. Maybe.

I really am crazy!

Lol.

PS My father in law actually seems to be getting better, which is astonishing, but he has some speech aphasia issues. Not quite sure what happens next but I'm so happy his kidneys are working again.

Back
Top Bottom