Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

forgot one thing: my little frizzle is laying eggs smaller than quail eggs ; 4 so far and none of them have yolks...Whats up?
I ate one the other day, still standing..

Glad to hear it!
I can't believe that my two little Seramas have started to lay again. I don't have a heated coop and no artificial light... and they actually don't seem to mind the cold. I don't close the door to their coop either. They just huddle together inside when it's really cold or outside on the top perch, in their run, when it's in the 30's. they are sooo cute. Thanks Heather for starting me on the "chicken kick".

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry for my long absence. I miss this group and the friends here. We still have our silkies, a few nankins and one cute bantam polish. Due to predators, we only have two egg layers left. Trying our best to survive this brutally cold weather with all this darn snow. For those of you who remember, we finally completed Lindsey's apartment! Yay!

Hope all is well with everyone's flocks and families!
Regards,
Tina Gabel

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry for my long absence. I miss this group and the friends here. We still have our silkies, a few nankins and one cute bantam polish. Due to predators, we only have two egg layers left. Trying our best to survive this brutally cold weather with all this darn snow. For those of you who remember, we finally completed Lindsey's apartment! Yay!

Hope all is well with everyone's flocks and families!
Regards,
Tina Gabel

Good to see you back! So sorry to hear about the predation. It has been a hard winter and I think it increases the pressure on all the creatures to survive and they get desperate. I hope they leave you alone.

Morning all,
Welcome back Tina, I've missed you. Sorry to hear about the predators. We've got some new friends on the thread I know you'll like.
I think this storm is going to be a bust for us. Although if you went anywhere near a store yesterday you would think a meteor was scheduled for a direct hit.....people have just lost their minds. We need to see green grass again.....

My Russian Orloff isn't looking well. She was even in the wrong coop last night. I think these continual cold stretches is taking its toll.

Stay safe and warm everyone and hope this one is the last....

I'm sitting in the yard watching the chickens scratching around, I cannot believe more snow is coming! Please say it isn't so! Tarp is ready, just in case!

I was thinking of using a leaf blower in my run, but I'm working in a much smaller space.
I sooo need to clean the coop. I am doing the deep litter thing, but it is high enough that I needed to excavate an area so I could get the door open AND the stinkers have been refusing to come out in the evil white stuff so the poop is concentrating in the coop. The bedding is so frozen I can't turn it or move it, so I kind of dug it out in chunks and can open the door at least. The girls have been tracking in snow and so it is now damp and it is going to be so nasty when it gets warm. The problem I am facing is how to clean the coop out. Even if it gets warm enough to thaw the bedding, I cannot operate a wheel barrow in 30 inches of snow and would have no where to dump it anyway. My compost heap is on the other side of the acre and I am not about to shovel a path so that I can clean the coop. Maybe I will just try to turn it all when it warms up and then toss some fresh bedding on top. I suppose everyone will be ok until March, which is when I usually do the big clean out anyway. I really don't mind the snow, but this year has been a little extreme. 

Carol, I cannot believe that you are still dealing with that... uuuuugggghhhh. I hope they fix it up soon. I hear you on the chicks from last year, it was a bad year here too. 
[/quoteI'm working in a small space, but I'm thinking of using a leaf blower in my run

Last edited:
I'm sitting in the yard watching the chickens scratching around, I cannot believe more snow is coming! Please say it isn't so! Tarp is ready, just in case!
[/quote
I bought a new tarp yesterday, cause the sewer people used my old one . Put that one straight to the curb. Thank goodness the storm was a bust although I don't think my girls can take much more of these freezing temps.

I put my Russian Orloff in a crate in an out building with a heater last night. Hope she makes it. Today I'm going to examine her a little closer to see if I can get a better picture of what is wrong.

I think it's one more night in the teens then we're home free. By Friday I'm hoping the coops are cleaned out.
Stay warm everyone.

Back
Top Bottom