Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Hey everyone, I hope you're all doing well :) I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a school or agency in NY that does necropsies for free like UCONN does for CT residents? We just got our 18 chicks 6 days ago and one of the CX rapidly developed a swollen foot with no signs of a wound and died sometime last night. She was eating and drinking before I went to bed :( I was planning on taking her to the vet today. I really just want to have it done for my own knowledge, though I assume it was some kind of aggressive infection. Cornell will do them but it's $62 and since it's not something I'm really concerned is infectious I'm not willing to spend that. I'll probably just end up doing it myself if there isn't a place.

Hey everyone, I hope you're all doing well
smile.png
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a school or agency in NY that does necropsies for free like UCONN does for CT residents? We just got our 18 chicks 6 days ago and one of the CX rapidly developed a swollen foot with no signs of a wound and died sometime last night. She was eating and drinking before I went to bed
sad.png
I was planning on taking her to the vet today. I really just want to have it done for my own knowledge, though I assume it was some kind of aggressive infection. Cornell will do them but it's $62 and since it's not something I'm really concerned is infectious I'm not willing to spend that. I'll probably just end up doing it myself if there isn't a place.
First off, I am sorry that you lost a chick. It is never an easy thing. I think I saw your post on another thread. Do they even do necropsies on chicks? I would imagine that a chick could have bumblefoot without much of a wound since they don't have much of an immune system at that age and would quickly be overwhelmed with the staph infection. Could one of the other chicks pecked at its toes? I have had chicks that were not doing well for other reasons fall prey to pecking by the brooder mates. There was never really any sign of the pecking on the feet, but I witnessed it happening. So, perhaps the swollen foot was a result of trauma and not a direct sign of what killed the chick? It is not uncommon to lose a few chicks at a few days of age. It is when organ development issues often show up. Given these are CX chicks, I think it is especially common secondary to their particular genetics. I am sure someone on the meaties thread could give you more info on that though.

No signs of pecking as far as I saw. I spend a decent amount of time watching them too because I'm pretty obsessed :) . I suppose anything could have happened though. I think in the future I'm going to let broodies take care of the chick rearing for me. I'm sure they're better at it than I am. I might get a few silkies in the future just for that if none of the girls I got end up broody.

No signs of pecking as far as I saw. I spend a decent amount of time watching them too because I'm pretty obsessed
smile.png
. I suppose anything could have happened though. I think in the future I'm going to let broodies take care of the chick rearing for me. I'm sure they're better at it than I am. I might get a few silkies in the future just for that if none of the girls I got end up broody.
I had never though to do meat chicks under a broody. That might make things much easier and encourage them to engage in more normal chicken behaviors, instead of just gorging in front of a feeder all day. When will you process?

I had never though to do meat chicks under a broody. That might make things much easier and encourage them to engage in more normal chicken behaviors, instead of just gorging in front of a feeder all day. When will you process? 

Not sure yet since this is our first time. 8-10 weeks is what they say though. And yes, I was thinking either putting the CX under a broody or just breeding our dual purpose and using their offspring for food. They'll be smaller of course and slower growing but we'll see how it goes. Lots of possibilities since we're just starting out in our chicken endeavors. My long term goal is to develop my own meat chickens. Not trying to recreate the CX or anything but at least something fairly quick growing and with a decent carcass that will breed true unlike all of the hybrids the hatcheries sell (not that you can really breed the CX anyway). I also don't particularly like the hatcheries either. Won't happen for a long time though of course but maybe someday.

OK, I have a question for all of you knowledgeable people. We picked up our 6 new chicks last Thursday. All see to be doing well, eating, drinking, peeping. They are all pretty mobile and look healthy. I have noticed that some of the poop is runnier than others. Any ideas, or am I just being overly paranoid as these are our first chicks?

OK, I have a question for all of you knowledgeable people.  We picked up our 6 new chicks last Thursday.  All see to be doing well, eating, drinking, peeping.  They are all pretty mobile and look healthy.  I have noticed that some of the poop is runnier than others.  Any ideas, or am I just being overly paranoid as these are our first chicks?

You can feed them medicated chick feed to help with that. Also check their bums everyday to make sure they don't have pasty butt. If they have runny poops sometimes it sticks to them and drys. Then they can't poop and will die. If they do get pasty butt you can wash it off with warm water. Then get them back under heat lamp.

Back
Top Bottom