Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

I just got 20 more Solway horizontal nipples for waterers. I will be making 5 gallon bucket waterers with 2 - 3 nipples each. I made 4 last year and they are the greatest thing ever. I only need to refill them every other day now.

I am astonished. I just learned from a Facebook post that there is a vet that treats backyard chickens right here on Long Island. The web address is http://heidihoefer.com/about-island-exotic-veterinary-care/ The office is in Huntington. Did you all know? I can hardly believe it. Anyway, their website says they have several veterinarians on staff and one of them in particular is the chicken expert:

"Welcome to the newest addition to our team: Dr. Meredith Davis! Dr. Davis grew up on Long Island, New York and completed her college years in upstate New York. After graduating from Cornell University with a Bachelor of Science in Animal Science, she continued her schooling at Cornell University’s School of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Davis graduated with her veterinary degree in 2000 and then moved to the Midwest to complete a residency in Poultry Medicine and a Master of Science in Veterinary Preventive Medicine at The Ohio State University. After completion of the graduate degree in 2002, an opportunity arose in Northern Virginia to work in a large avian/exotic practice.
Dr. Davis has spent the last 12 years in Virginia working as an avian/exotic veterinarian while raising her growing family. In 2014, a job opportunity opened up for her husband on Long Island and the family returned to the area. Dr. Davis joined IEVC in March of 2014 and is excited to continue practicing in the field of avian/exotic medicine which has always been her passion.
"

"Island Exotic Veterinary Care is an animal hospital specializing in the care of birds and exotic pets only. We do not treat dogs or cats so we can provide a predator-free environment for our special pets. This means a quiet, clean, friendly place for our little critters.
Our avian clientele ranges from pet birds like canaries, cockatiels and parrots, to backyard poultry pets and birds of prey. Our mammal patients are ferrets, rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, small rodents like mice, rats, gerbils and hamsters, and unusual species like sugar gliders and hedgehogs. Non-venomous reptiles of all species are welcome patients.
After 20 years of treating exotics inside large dog-cat hospitals, our founding veterinarian, Dr. Heidi Hoefer, opened Island Exotic Veterinary Care in 2007. It is the only 100% exotic pet hospital on Long Island and only one of three in New England. We are a free-standing house completely outfitted for the unique patients that we care for. There are no barking dogs to scare our timid or sick patients. We maintain a small friendly staff that is
specifically trained in the care and management of exotic pets.

We are proud and loving owners of exotics ourselves and this is a passion we all share. You are welcome to stop by and get a tour of our facilities and ask questions. Check us out on Facebook! We look forward to meeting you."

I just got 20 more horizontal nipples for waterers. I will be making bucket waterers with 2 - 3 nipples each. I made 4 last year and they are the greatest thing ever. I only need to refill them every other day now. 

Could you post a photo of the watered you made Christine? I need to make a couple for the garden in the summer. Thanks Pip

One of my chickens crossed over the Rainbow Bridge late last night. Found her this morning in The ChickArena; I'm sure it was the heat. She was one of my most productive hens; an EasterEgger. I called her Smoke because she was feathered in a rich medley of browns and rusts. Gave us such pretty blue eggs. Despite the daily cooling treat of huge cucumbers straight from the fridge, she succumbed to the heat wave. Bye, Smoke. You will be missed. (But not by the little white frizzled bantam cochin; you were her relentless tormentor.)

One of my chickens crossed over the Rainbow Bridge late last night. Found her this morning in The ChickArena; I'm sure it was the heat. She was one of my most productive hens; an EasterEgger. I called her Smoke because she was feathered in a rich medley of browns and rusts. Gave us such pretty blue eggs. Despite the daily cooling treat of huge cucumbers straight from the fridge, she succumbed to the heat wave. Bye, Smoke. You will be missed. (But not by the little white frizzled bantam cochin; you were her relentless tormentor.)

Roberta ChickenFairyGodmother: So now I'm hoping to add THREE point of lay pullets in the fall. If you have 'em, I'll take 'em. I'm still going to give away LaVerne and her sister Shirley. They're sweet, but not laying anymore.
-Carolyn252

So sorry to hear you lost one of your girls.

Quote: Hey Pip! I have been so bad about getting on here. I don't have a pic handy, but it is pretty straight forward. Get a food grade 5 gallon pail and at least 2 of the horizontal nipples. You will use an 11/32 drill bit to put two holes an inch and a half or so from the bottom. You hand twist the nipples in, fill it with water, and you are done. If you look up Solway side mounted (or horizontal) nipple, you will get pics of the nipples and assembled buckets. You can't order from Solway directly, but you can get them on ebay (make sure you are getting genuine Solway nipples though, there are a lot of knock offs out there and I don't know what the quality will be like). Mine don't leak at all!

Back
Top Bottom