Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

I can't stand having to get rid of my little Roos. The one silkie is adorable.Every time I go outside he follows me around like a dog and when I stop to talk to him he does a little dance. An Irish jig. He's my little leprechaun. For now his name is Blarney. He is crowing though so he has to go.
I've finally named 2 of my EE girls one is Mercury and the other is Shamrock.

Another day dawns and not too shabby down here. Overcast and cooler. I am not complaining at all. Love it and hope it rains on my gardens again.

Welcome home Suzanne! I am dying to see Niagra Falls.That is hopefully a roadtrip dh and I will take in the near future.

does anyone know the best age to butcher a roo? I heard several different things, that once they started getting testorone they meat gets chewy? if so that means that when they start crowing? is this even true? and they need to be 20 weeks old. Mine are only 17 weeks and they are crowing very well allread? Im confused lol

Check out the meaties page. You can butcher at any age. The older the tougher (hen or rooster). Most do butcher by 20 weeks. I keep waiting for mine to fill out a bit more, but the feed to meat conversion does nit seem to be in my favor so i am going to do mine soon. Which ones are you butchering?

Check out the meaties page. You can butcher at any age. The older the tougher (hen or rooster). Most do butcher by 20 weeks. I keep waiting for mine to fill out a bit more, but the feed to meat conversion does nit seem to be in my favor so i am going to do mine soon. Which ones are you butchering?
Do you do your own? I'd raise meaties if I could get myself to process them...... but I can't seem to break through my mental barrier.I am a hypocrite.
th.gif

ok The two chicks I hatched seem to be one roo and one hen from their wing feathers..... i will butcher one roo.... and the other keep no matter if it is a hen or roo... hoping hen though lol... and If my welsummer plans on being a meaner xD ..... hoping the speckled rocks fill out nicely just like the SS do... my white rocks didnt do so well but I only have hens so we will just have to see... they were big chicks though.... one was the same size my light brahma chick was at day 3 :O

Well so much for feeling so bad for Blarney. I went to turn the hose on and he attacked me. A bleeding hole in the top of my foot and an even bigger one on my wrist.what the heck is he thinking. I know if he was my dads chicken he would be soup tonight. I can't believe the size of the holes he put in me.

Welcome home Suzanne.

Back
Top Bottom