Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

I try to scoop the poop when I first let them out, before Im really awake. Then I sort of forget it, like a dream...

This is the magic month, have you gone to visit the DOs of the districts you favor? You might find a fine reception at one.

One of our pullets laid her first egg!
45795257-e406-5834.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like a double yolker to me! Congrats!
thumbsup.gif

Speaking of nest boxes.
With my small numbers I have never even bothered with a nest box. My girls all lay in 1 corner of their small coop in a nest of straw with no problems at all. And if one is laying another just plops down right next to her and lays hers with no squabble or problems at all.

On another subject. Feed prices have just gone up across the board.

I paid including Tax, $21.00 plus the other day. This was for 50 lb. of Blue Seal grower/starter crumbles I am feeding to my youngsters. But pellets also went up.

Can everyone please take a moment to say how much they pay, for what exactly......and where you purchase feed from please?

Yeah, I was warned about the corn causing feed prices to go up.
2 weeks ago, I screamed because 50 lbs of Agway layer pellets had gone from $14 something to $16.
Yesterday I bought a bag of chick starter, was over $19.
And I need to buy feed again this weekend.
Considering cutting back on the birds. This is getting very expensive for me!
I stayed away from Purina because it was $18 back when I was paying $14.... I wonder how much that is up to!
th.gif

Yesterday, Purina Flockraiser was $17.01. In LaFayette.
And it won't end here with the droughts as they are ongoing. Oh boy......read lately on what will happen to the beef market? Hold onto your hats....those poor farmers are having a really bad time now and congress left them out to dry while they took theor 5 week "rest".

We'll all be eating our chickens before this is over...........

Yeah, I was warned about the corn causing feed prices to go up.
2 weeks ago, I screamed because 50 lbs of Agway layer pellets had gone from $14 something to $16.
Yesterday I bought a bag of chick starter, was over $19.
And I need to buy feed again this weekend.
Considering cutting back on the birds. This is getting very expensive for me!
I stayed away from Purina because it was $18 back when I was paying $14.... I wonder how much that is up to!
th.gif
I'm also doing the Agway feed, 50lb. I'm going to finish up the last bag of chick starter I have and that's it. The "babies" are 8 weeks now and I should get another month out of the bag I have.

My biggest problem now is feeding the rats in the neighborhood! I have to get Bobby out there with the hardware mesh and close off a couple of corners that we missed. Two nights ago I saw the motion light go on over the feed box so I got up and checked it out. Sure enough, baby rat having a feast on what was spilled on the ground. So I put a block of poison behind the box, where the girls can't get it, and kicked one under the coop itself, also too tight for the girls. Just now I let Clara out and she wouldn't come in because she was fascinated by something under the blackberry bush. yup. Dying rat. I scooped it up with a shovel and disposed of it in the trash can, away from doggie and chickens. But I know there's still one under the coop because I caught a flash of it scurrying before. Ack.

At my Thursday night meeting a friend with a farm market brings all her unsold produce. Last night I cried at the meeting (job stuff) and wound up coming home with 8 ears of corn, 6 tomatoes, 2 huge cucumbers, 2 bunches of scallions, 2 bunches of beets, a bunch of radishes and a bag of green beans. I feel so bad because she won't take money, or eggs (she has a supplier). But I'm going to crochet her a couple of chickens and bake her a couple of loaves of my favorite honey whole wheat bread.

Farm people are the best!!

I'm also doing the Agway feed, 50lb. I'm going to finish up the last bag of chick starter I have and that's it. The "babies" are 8 weeks now and I should get another month out of the bag I have.

My biggest problem now is feeding the rats in the neighborhood! I have to get Bobby out there with the hardware mesh and close off a couple of corners that we missed. Two nights ago I saw the motion light go on over the feed box so I got up and checked it out. Sure enough, baby rat having a feast on what was spilled on the ground. So I put a block of poison behind the box, where the girls can't get it, and kicked one under the coop itself, also too tight for the girls. Just now I let Clara out and she wouldn't come in because she was fascinated by something under the blackberry bush. yup. Dying rat. I scooped it up with a shovel and disposed of it in the trash can, away from doggie and chickens. But I know there's still one under the coop because I caught a flash of it scurrying before. Ack.

At my Thursday night meeting a friend with a farm market brings all her unsold produce. Last night I cried at the meeting (job stuff) and wound up coming home with 8 ears of corn, 6 tomatoes, 2 huge cucumbers, 2 bunches of scallions, 2 bunches of beets, a bunch of radishes and a bag of green beans. I feel so bad because she won't take money, or eggs (she has a supplier). But I'm going to crochet her a couple of chickens and bake her a couple of loaves of my favorite honey whole wheat bread.

Farm people are the best!!
Suzanne, I am sure others will pop on to attest to where there is 1 rat there are a dozen. They gave me a run for my $$ at my old house digging tunnells and comming up into my coop. Even trying to drag a silkie down into their hole by her leg at dusk 1 day. YUCK!

I used poison blocks in their tunnels....then later on I also plugged up all the exit holes I could find and ran a hose into tunnel their flooding them out. OMGAWD they came scurrying out and I was totally disgusted then. It was affective but they just never stop coming when there is feed available.It just lowers the nuimbers.
tongue.gif

Makes me sick to m,y stomach.
I have not a one here due to the feral cat /hawk population I am guessing. That and I understand they don't live near ground hogs??? Why not I don't know. I have a family of them living here as well under my rock wall and garden.

Speaking of nest boxes.
With my small numbers I have never even bothered with a nest box. My girls all lay in 1 corner of their small coop in a nest of straw with no problems at all. And if one is laying another just plops down right next to her and lays hers with no squabble or problems at all.

On another subject. Feed prices have just gone up across the board.

I paid including Tax, $21.00 plus the other day. This was for 50 lb. of Blue Seal grower/starter crumbles I am feeding to my youngsters. But pellets also went up.

Can everyone please take a moment to say how much they pay, for what exactly......and where you purchase feed from please?
last week I purchased 50 lb bags of layer pelllets/crumbles for 14.99... BUT I am tax exempt.... at TSC ! =]

Back
Top Bottom