Southern States Meat Bird Maker

magicjeep

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 8, 2013
I have 4 hens that are about 8-9 weeks old and I am about to run out of chick starter feed. I went to the local Agway and they sold me Southern States All Grain Meat Bird Maker. I read that the birds should be getting 16%-18% protein at this age. This feed has 20%. Is this ok to feed them or am I confusing this with the calcium in layer feed causing problems at this age? Btw they birds (2 barred rocks, 1 light bantam & 1 black cochin) are for laying and not meat. Thanks in advance.

I have 4 hens that are about 8-9 weeks old and I am about to run out of chick starter feed. I went to the local Agway and they sold me Southern States All Grain Meat Bird Maker. I read that the birds should be getting 16%-18% protein at this age. This feed has 20%. Is this ok to feed them or am I confusing this with the calcium in layer feed causing problems at this age? Btw they birds (2 barred rocks, 1 light bantam & 1 black cochin) are for laying and not meat. Thanks in advance.
Yup, Just fine! I feed it to my Light Sussex and they do great on it. That extra 4% won't hurt them and will help them. The calcium in it is fine for this age for both males and females. You just want it under 3.o I think Meat Maker has something like 1.35%, below 2% anyway. But look at a bag of Layer and its 3.25 or more % ( too high for the boys).
When they all get to laying age...what I do to avoid the males eating the layer feed... I feed an all flock feed like Purina Flockraiser or something. It gives all the birds what they need ( lower calcium , ok for both sexes)and then I put out a small dish of Oyster shell for the girls. The boys only eat it if they need it and the girls always have it available. Much easier than stressing over 2 kinds of feed. Feed the girls adult sized insoluble granite grit and it will improve digestion and help raise egg production.
Enjoy!
Karen

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply 3riverschick. One more question. I have maybe 1/4 of the bag of chick feed (about 10 lbs or so?) can I feed them the rest of the bagor should I switch them over to the grower feed now? Again thanks.

Back
Top Bottom