"Southernisms" and the Southern Lady

Quote:
Okra

y'all can also make smothered okra. and put that on some bread. If done up right it make some good eaten. Almost as good as okra gumbo with sausage.

Grits are an everyday any meal thing. In the morning (real) butter salt and pepper. Lunch or supper add some ham (or any left over meat) and cheddar cheese. But don't take world my it. maw maw use to make us pancakes for supper. Well it is near about time far me to feed up the chickens. By the way I was born with a double whammy try being a cajun born in the south.( We use to call ourselves Coona$$ but some say that it is political incorrect. We old timer still do.) Once a friend found out that our maw maw and paw paw was coming over she asked if we would get them to speak some cajun french. We told her yes. So we started to talk to grand parents. Finally friend said ok now talk english so that I can understand what you are saying. We almost fell off of chair laughing we where talking english with a lot of cajun slang words.

Last edited:
My mom would make sweet grits with honey as a treat.
Sometimes she'd let it harden in the pan, turn it out, slice it and either fry it or make a sammich.

Grits goes good with spam.

Grits with onions, chicken broth, and other assorted flavors is Polenta.

Yellow grits is corn meal mush.

Polk is a weed, you can't intentionaly grow it. Some how it knows. That means if you plant it on purpose it will die.

Heres one that no one has mentioned KUDZU!

It's a vine imported from europe some where and is taking over the south one telephone pole at a time.

I've seen that stuff demolish a house. It completely covered the whole abandoned house in a few months. It looks pretty but grows like the devil.

Some how, thanks to them CaJuns, We got those yankees to eat burned fish. Oh we call it blackened, But it's really burned.
wink.png

Quote:
SO TRUE.

Especially the Rhett Butler part. You'll never believe I had a dream about Rhett the other night, and I was Scarlett. Right after he gave her the hat to spice up her mourning clothes, and then refused to kiss her.
hmm.png

I have a buddy from Western Kentucky. He says Crick for creek and Croppy for crappie. I love to argue with him.

It is Creek not Crick. A Crick is a pain in the neck. A creek is flowing water that you can jump across. Anything bigger is a river. You don't say Jip for Jeep or Slip for Sleep!

And it's Crappie not croppy. You don't say Slop for slap or Mop for map!!

We have some good conversations.

Last edited:
Quote:
I make fried summer squash all garden season, Texas Star. I don't know about you, but I use either crook neck, or patty pan squash. I slice it, then make them exactly as I do fried green tomatoes....heavenly!
smile.png

As for Dr. Pepper, that was the only soda I ever saw at my granny and grandad's house.
smile.png

I grew up in southeastern Iowa,the poem could fit there also (everything but the plameto bugs and chew). I LOVE tomato sandwiches and my DH loves greens. I fry up zucchini squash instead of yellow. Almost everyone here says I'm a hick. Mainly because of my love of animals and that I can everything.
My dad and stepmom lived in Georgia for a few years,what I remember most is how polite and friendly everyone was. My stepmom died of Lew-gerigs disease a couple years back. The niehbors showed up with food and well wishes,I have never seen this before. They just seemed to glow with their faith. It almost seemed like a different world. I hope that in this changing world that the southern people can hold on to that basic southern hospitality. I think for the most part it's been lost for a long time in the north. When I was growing up in Iowa we said crick.

Back
Top Bottom