Soy to non-soy feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by buterflysbeauty, Mar 16, 2018.

1. buterflysbeauty

buterflysbeauty Chirping

Feb 13, 2017
    I just made the switch to a non-soy feed. How long do you think it will take before the eggs would be considered "non-soy" containing? Do you think there is a withdrawal period?

2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    You can still eat the eggs after making the switch, there isn't a withdrawal period for switching feeds.
    After about a week, the eggs shouldn't contain anymore soy. At this point the hen's system would be completely cleared of the previous feed.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A pullet is hatched with all the eggs she will ever have. More than she can lay in a lifetime.
    The follicles start growing into yolks in a type of assembly line in ever increasing size, so a hen in lay, may have about 6 or more growing yolks and after a mature follicle bursts and drops the yolk into the infundibulum, it will be about 25 hours before it is laid so I would suspect perhaps you'll have to wait till you get as many as 10 eggs before there is little chance of soy being in the egg.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  4. buterflysbeauty

buterflysbeauty Chirping

Feb 13, 2017
    Thank you so much! I appreciate both of your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: