Speaking of Rules......

LittleChickenRacingTeam

On vacation
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Ontario, CANADA
* No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.

I notice this is occuring more frequently as of late. Yet I've never seen a MOD or Nifty post that this is a violation of the rules. Either the rule needs to be updated/changed or the members here need to be aware that they are not supposed to BUMP posts.

Usually the reason a post starts drifting away is because (1) no one has any further input, (2) no one has a comment or suggestion, or (3) no one wants to respond to a controversial topic.

In case you can't tell, I find BUMPING annoying.

Sorry, I am the guilty one here! I didn't realize it was against the rules and the only threads I have bumped are the ones regarding out meeting on the 23rd..just want to make sure everyone that can possibly come is totally aware of the meeting and the times and who all is coming. Guess I can start a new post everytime but to me that would be more confusing and annoying!! Give me some advice regarding this particular situation about the meeting..Mods? LCRT? ..can't think of any other thread I have ever bumped so my question is specific to this meeting and bumping these threads and yesterday alone I bumped 5 of them so yes, I admit clearly that I did it!!
smile.png

I simply delete "bumps" that are not meaningful. Especially when something is bumped 3 times in an hour. Or bumps that are meant to bring something potstirring to the top. I have done quite a bit of that lately. I figure when a member sees their bumps gone, they get the hint.

I wasn't referirng to any thread in particular, & in fact have not read the one you are talking about. So please don't take my comment personally.

I can't give you any advice since I'm not a mod. Hopefully the Eagle eyed Terrie Lacy will chime in.

Last edited:
Of all offenses, bumping isn't top on our list to police, but yes, it can be annoying... especially in situations like this:

11:00: Help, my chicken is sick:
11:02: What, nobody is answering? I need help!
11:05: Bump
11:12: BUMP!! I need help

With that said, this forum is very busy. If you have a question and haven't received a reply within 12 hours you can simply reply to the thread with additional information or questions to hopefully help people answer your post request.

There are several kinds of bumping. The one Nifty refers to is just stupid.
We need a Valium smiley for those.

The second kind is different. The success of this site means posts show up so
fast that it's close to impossible to catch every post unless you go topic by topic.
Sorry but that isn't realistic. In those cases, a subtle bump, is appropriate.

Yes, some bumping is annoying but some is also needed. Especially if there's a post that needs an immediate answer and no one has answered within an hour and it gets buried, a "bump" may be necessary to show people the thread is still there. Say if no one knows the answer that is currently online and the thread gets buried, bumping ONCE later on to show the post is still there for the ones who may know the answer can see it, say if they weren't online before.

That's confusing. Okay. If the person that knows the answer to the question isn't online, a bump may be necessary so that when the person that does know signs online they can see the post and help.

edit;;

You know, in the time it took me to type all that Purple explained it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only seen the acceptable kinds of bumps, probably because TerrieLacey is deleting the other kind before we ever notice them. (Thank you Terrie!!)

Some have to realize that other don't live at this site so when they check "your recent posts" and get a post that is older then replies will show up. It isn't always bumpin' some of us just talk slow.

Back
Top Bottom