Speckled Sussex chick with wattles??

rosaroca

Songster
7 Years
Jun 21, 2015
Hi all. I picked up two speckled Sussex pullets (hopefully!) from TSC but one has something on the left side of her face. Doesn’t seem to bother her and she eats and runs around just like the other 8 chicks in the indoor pen Any idea what this is and should I be concerned about it? I’m pretty darn sure it wasn’t there when I got them a couple weeks ago
9D03FAD9-314D-482D-A5C8-56D4597E889C.jpeg

Attachments

• 68EE7CAB-7B37-4464-AF20-B2F6F709B188.jpeg
    68EE7CAB-7B37-4464-AF20-B2F6F709B188.jpeg
    405 KB · Views: 17
It looks like a puffy white feather sticking out and down from her face. And the pen was cleaned yesterday but when I leaned in to video them they dumped over their feeder and their chick starter spilled all over the sand/shavings mixture it’s bedded with.

Also what their sitting on is their hearing plate. I can wipe it off twice a day and it’s still speckled with chick poop 5 minutes later. They LOVE standing on top of it.

That is not a wattle ... Have you felt it? Is it a lump? Is it hard? Soft? Feathers?
At about 2wks, they'll spend more time on top than under th plate/heating pad. You could use old towels, shaking it off now and they or picking off the dried stuff. I use potty pads over my heating pad, cut to size & secured but there are some that love to peck and tear it.

Hi all. I picked up two speckled Sussex pullets (hopefully!) from TSC but one has something on the left side of her face. Doesn’t seem to bother her and she eats and runs around just like the other 8 chicks in the indoor pen Any idea what this is and should I be concerned about it? I’m pretty darn sure it wasn’t there when I got them a couple weeks ago View attachment 2709948
GOOD NEWS! I finally got my hands on her (I’m a terrible chicken catcher) and it’s just a great big funky feather. No tumor, no abcess, no worries! Thanks everyone for your assistance!

Back
Top Bottom